Need help now?

Tricky times for finding things to do off screen for 11 year olds

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
happydayz

Hi... I was just wondering about what other parents do that is screen free for their 11 yo's.  It seems to be a tricky time for my boy.  Most things I suggest are too young for him it seems... But he is not quite ready with this confidence to go for a bike ride on his own, or got to the shops for a chore etc.  I feel like I'm a bit stuck.  I would love to hear thoughts and ideas... TIA

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Re: Tricky times for finding things to do off screen for 11 year olds

Message contains a hyperlink

@happydayz screen free activities can feel hard to come by... 

Does your 11yo like any sports or other activities he could sign up to with a friend after school? 

I found an article that might be helpful - here 

Keen to hear ideas from other parents on this too! 

Casual scribe
happydayz

Thanks... yes its hard.  He does play sport.  I guess I find it hard for things to do at home.  As soon as he gets bored or walks in the door its... 'can I have my screen time now?' And things like drawing and crafty things he says are for the little kids.  Just not sure of what to suggest that will pique his attention :0)

gina-Ro

What about a more "adult" version of craft -like woodwork,  cooking or baking or some kind of gardening project? 

Could he work on building something?

This might not be an option.. but sometimes getting a pet - like a dog to walk - can be a great sense of responsibility, or even having fish or something that will need time and care? 

If he likes sport, could you get him a basket ball hoop , or punching bag, to practice on outside? 

The only other thing I can think of (and i'm hoping others have more ideas for you too!!) is a hobby he could learn, like learning guitar,  magic tricks, origami, or painting models  - (definitely not a kids activity as its very fiddly!) or even photography? 

Active scribe
Helpful_Mum

Hi @happydayz

I have 12 year old and you're right it is a tricky age as they are not quite independent enough to head out on their own.  After 3 days of I'm BORED I got out all our old board games and put them in a basket in the living room and after a few hours he was rummaging through the basket saying I remember this, I love this game! now he and his older brother have been happily playing cards, cluedo, battleships etc... A friend of mine has bought her pre-teens each a lego remote car to build over the holidays.  With regards outdoorsy stuff, I like @gina-Ro veggie garden suggestion, may try that one out next holidays!

Let me know how you go!

Frequent scribe
Happy

Hi @happydayz
This is a difficult age to keep entertained during the holidays.
I have an 11 year old boy that would love to spend all day on his screen.
We went shopping the other day and he found an adult version Dot To Dot book! He enjoys it so much he won’t put it down.
A few other ideas would be a hand ball challenge. My kids are allowed to play indoors when it’s cold. Baking things like cookies, my son loves baking and spending time in the kitchen. Another activity my son loves is learning card tricks (this does require a little screen time) but education at the same time.
I hope this helps.
sunflowermom

Hi @happydayz

I have a 11 year old daughter and we live int he country so going out to the park without me is not an option.  Indoors she enjoys art and craft projects.  She is too old for dolls now.  She has also been asking for lego kits?

What do you think about helping your son pick out a model to work on ( Airplane, Car) ?  It might be old school but that would totally help pass time.

My 11 year old has a pretty structured schedule when in school rolls around- soccer, girl scouts, etc.  but the summers get harder.  The kids must do chores and wait for me to get home from work in the early afternoon if they want to have an outing.  I try to take them out places a couple times a week to help the boredom.

I totally agree @Helpful_Mum my kids LOVE board games too.  I need to sit and play them with them more often.  We have 3 games on the dining table right now.

Star contributor
Breez-RO

OOoooo loved the old models! What an awesome idea Smiley Happy @sunflowermom I remember there used to be entire stores dedicated to model cars and airplanes etc

Super star contributor
taokat

Hey @happydayz, school holidays - aargh! I love the suggestions already given! 

My daughter is 16 now, but when she was younger she used to love home science experiments. Making slime, making those little radios, making play dough. Another fav of hers was cornstarch and vinegar I think it was. It was awesome - it looks like it solidifies but as soon as you touch it, it liquefies again. I'll check with my daughter in the morning and see if she remembers the ingredients. 

If he's a quieter kid he might enjoy doing a puzzle. I've been doing mosaics today which another idea. Or maybe take him to the library and loan some books if he likes reading. My daughter has always loved a good book. 

I hope you're able to find something to keep your son entertained. "I'm bored" gets pretty boring pretty quickly doesn't it! Smiley Happy

Active scribe
kevvy22

I made stress balls and slime with my kids on the holidays 15 / 14 and 13 yrs old - they loved it - jump online and grab the instructions - great activities