Need help now?

Weekly Wellbeing: What were you like as a teen?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Message contains an image

Sometimes it can be hard to relate to teenagers, especially as a parent. 

Whether it's music, politics, internet use or slang... the generation gap can feel big!

But the big things - facing life choices, navigating new relationships, managing hormones, thinking about the future and all the pressure that brings...  are all still as relevant for teens as they've always been. 

This week's wellbeing activity, is a bit of a reflection:

- What were you like when you were the age your teen is now? 

- Did you have similar interests and hobbies as your teen, or are they completely different? 

- What advice would you give to your younger self now? 

28070504_10155493701182058_1997105088505118947_o.jpg

gina-Ro

Re: Weekly Wellbeing: What were you like as a teen?

Last year, ReachOut asked a lot of people this question. 
A few celebs, including Sam Smith, gave us these answers: 

Let us know your thoughts.

@mrskode @PapaBill @Diamondluv  @fortashy  @JAKGR8  @compassion 

fortashy

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

I am just going to tag a few recently active members to jump in on this community activity Smiley Happy 

@ConfusedMum @parentingnewbie @Dad4good @sunflowermom @WhaeaM @Preciosa 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Dad4good

Happy to share . . .

What were you like when you were the age your teen is now?

My son is 15. That was a crap year for me, I basically became a loner and spent all of my time on the golf course (wanting to play golf for a living). I was committed to that pursuit, but looking back now I wasted that year(s). 

Did you have similar interests and hobbies as your teen, or are they completely different?

He enjoys golf and playing X-box (so that's a good start!). Other than that he and I are very different. He gets into trouble with the police and lives a 'risky' lifestyle with very little commitment to anything (like going to school etc.). We do share the same sense of humour!   

What advice would you give to your younger self now?

Relax. Its ok to have fun. Be more like your son (but without the illegal stuff!).

JAKGR8

This is an interesting one. I was at boarding school for most of my teen years so you tend to be on different behaviour there.

- What were you like when you were the age your teen is now? 

I'd do a lot of 'pretending' to fit in to all the different groups. I was usually a bit of a joker but also a watcher and helped the younger girls a lot.  I could be more surly when at home as parents were constantly fighting. 

- Did you have similar interests and hobbies as your teen, or are they completely different? 

My interests would have been similar to my kids if I'd stayed at home. In those days there weren't a lot of options for extra curricula activities at boarding school but I did experience a lot I wouldn't have at home. I tended to the more arty, bookworm side. Liked to think I was a bit musical. 

- What advice would you give to your younger self now? 

Don't worry about what other people think of you. Be healthy - eat well (slight eating disorder) and don't give up sport just because there are so many super talented people around you. Find a sport/exercise that you really enjoy, you don't have to be good at it to do it. Keep in touch with all those people and study harder. 

JA
gina-Ro

@Dad4good  Thanks for your answers. 

Being 15 is so tough!! I remember it being a really hard year for me too. Do you ever feel that even if the time was "Wasted" in terms of your future, it was a good thing to keep you occupied and driven at the time? 

For me, I got very into writing, and music when I was 15, and I think these things helped me to get through. 

But like you, I also wish younger me could lighten up and have more fun - trying to make up for that now! 

Great that you and your son share a sense of humour - so important! Nothing is more bonding than a good laugh. 

gina-Ro

@JAKGR8  being at boarding school would certainly have been a different experience! 

Sounds like you were a bit of a mentor figure for other girls which is awesome. 

Lots of good advice for younger you - not worrying about what other people think about you is so hard as a teen! I think we all struggled with it, and then realise it's not important. 

Heart

Dad4good

Hey @gina-Ro ,

No your totally right, those years of commitment (for me is was to golf) set me up with good foundations that have helped later in life!

gina-Ro

@Dad4good  we humans are good at taking the best out of situations and using our experiences in positive ways - love hearing how your gold commitment helped you! 

Active scribe
Lilly19

What were you like when you were the age your teen is now?
I was a disaster and fortunately at boarding school away from my family. If there was trouble (like burning sheds down etc) I was in there like a shot.. I was musical and sporty. I loathed school (later found out I had learning disability) but managed to struggle through.

Did you have similar interests and hobbies as your teen, or are they completely different?
We have a very black humour.. Mine hate sport which I silently don't understand - genetics I guess. We are musical but they are into their books and learning.. They love shopping now - I drag myself out the door. 

What advice would you give to your younger self now?

Learn to communicate it will get you through life so much easier.