Need help now?

Ab Fab Friday's - What do you do for self care? 15th December @8pm (AEDST)

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Ab Fab Friday's - What do you do for self care? 15th December @8pm (AEDST)

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: Ab Fab Friday's - What do you do for self care? 15th December @8pm (AEDST)

Our messages crossed @Nick-RO haha! You're so right though.

Prolific scribe
Chalke5

That's right @Nick-RO and countless times I have offered that advice to others.

Contributor
Nick-RO

Absolutely @taokat - I completely get wanting to get help though too.  But there is something empowering about taking a bit of time for yourself (and maybe eventually) not feeling guilty about it!

Prolific scribe
Chalke5

The guilt is the bit that I feel I need to get over! Will work on that.

Super star contributor
taokat

Wouldn't that be lovely @Chalke5, to have others show us some care. I know in my home, that isn't a common occurrance - 15 yo who's into her friends more so than family at the moment! But that's pretty normal for teens I think.

I find I'm the only one who can effectively practice self care, doing even little things for myself. I know best what my needs are to help me function at my best capacity, and caring for myself and being my own best friend makes me feel more positive about things. 

Contributor
Nick-RO

So my 'self care time' is that I share my house with a big cuddly dog and I take her out for a walk twice a day - now this is theoretically a chore that has to be done (and sometimes when it is super cold or raining or dark I sometimes really don't want to go out) but just by consciously thinking of it as time for me - where I am away from my phone and screens and any other demands on my time I have made it into a self care routine that helps me recharge - I also don't feel so guilty about it because I have accomplished something that needed to be done at the same time.  When I get back from the walks I can give myself to my family with renewed energy.

Prolific scribe
Chalke5

I love that you have found the gym as a source of time out @taokat, good on you.  Finding something that works and sticking with it is great.  

Contributor
Nick-RO

Message contains an image

She loves the walksShe loves the walks

Prolific scribe
Chalke5

Yes that routine with walking the dog sounds great and I get that you would always feel better after doing it.  Exercise has that feel good feeling.

Prolific scribe
Chalke5

Thanks @Nick-RO love your dog!