Need help now?

Best of 2017

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Contributor
Nick-RO

Best of 2017

Message contains a video

Hey all,

If you are anything like me, you may not have given yourself enough time to catch up on all ( or even any?) of the amazing books, songs, movies and TV shows from the past 12 months.  But this time of year is amazing for stepping back and giving us some time to catch up with some of this stuff!

I thought we could start this thread to help us all out with recommendations from the past year that are absolutely not to be missed and can give us some time to look after ourselves by jumping into something new!

Although I am a bit behind (as you will see below) I thought I’d get the ball rolling with a couple of my 2017 highlights…

The first one is really recent – I am loving SIA’s new album for the holidays and in particular this song.  A word of warning – it is CATCHY! I can’t guarantee you won’t be singing it all day if you listen to it!!

My second is that I finally caught up with the Gilmore Girls this year (see I told you I am a bit behind!) on Netflix.  Actually I am cheating a little bit because I did watch it with my teenager so it wasn’t totally just for me – but I did get a huge giggle over all the 90s references which was fun!  I can't believe I missed out on this the first time around and the four new episodes this year prompted me to go back and catch up on this show from the beginning.

So who is up for recommending something great for us all to sink our teeth into over the summer?

@taokat@Chalke5 @the_ant65@Zoesplace@waldo_pepper@MelissaJane

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: Best of 2017

What a great topic @Nick-RO

One series I did start watching a couple of years ago was 'Orange is the New Black', and I have a few seasons to catch up on now!

Audrie and Daisy is a heart wrenching documentary I watched earlier this year that I'd recommend - it's about 2 girls who were sexually assaulted and vilified by their peers and the community - Daisy who survived her suicide attempt began the Semi colon project. It could be triggering for some.

The bogan in me (yes, there's a bogan stuck in me somewhere!), wants to catch up on Upper Middle Bogan as well. ('Cringy' as my daughter would say haha).

Another series I was introduced to was 'Miranda' starring Miranda Hart - hilarious!! It's not on Netlix unfortunately, but we view on Apple TV. 

Music - most things Ed Sheeran at the moment. 

Contributor
Nick-RO

Thanks so much for your recommendations!

The documentary sounds confronting but I think I am going to give it a go - I have added it to my queue.  I feel like I don't watch enough docos - but really get heaps out of them when I do!

Contributor
Nick-RO

On your recommendation I caught up on Orange is the New Black over the break @taokat - thank you so much!!

I really enjoyed it.  I love the way it is structured where you get to see a little bit of the history of the characters and how that ties into the main story line!  Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Super star contributor
taokat

Fantastic @Nick-RO, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Smiley Happy

It is really well done isn't it. I'm going to have to take some time out and catch up the last series. I'm not as far behind as I thought! 

Has anyone else got any recommendations? 

@Zoesplace@Chalke5@the_ant65@LovingThruBlue@motherbear

Super frequent scribe
Danielle-RO

It's not 2017, but it's still awesome... Has anyone caught the new David Letterman show on Netflix?

Also, I'm not forgiving 2017 for revealing to me that my precious Foo Fighters are a 'Dad Band'.

But I did like that it introduced me to the literary work of Dave Grohl's mom - Virginia Hanlon Grohl - who wrote a book about the mothers who raise musicians. That book re-introduced me to some music I'd forgotten, and also some new bands I hadn't yet heard about.

I can honestly recommend reading 'From Cradle to Stage'