Need help now?

Docos Worth Watching!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: Docos Worth Watching!

Wow, have just watched Audrey and Daisy and Boy Interrupted. Half a tissue box later...

Audrey and Daisy a must see, although heartbreaking, and infuriating in regards to the outcome for Daisy. Sex culture is certainly a social issue that needs more attention.

Boy Interrupted was also very sad and highlights the issue of suicide due to mental health issues. Made by his family, it's a very personal recount of their son and his life and battle with Bipolar II depression before his suicide at 15.

I think that will do me for today...

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

@taokat Have you seen "Dear Zachary. A letter to a son about his father"?

It's an amazing documentary, but it's at least a half tissue box, if not a full one. So you might want to watch a couple of uplifting ones first.

Super star contributor
taokat

No, I haven't seen Dear Zachary @Ngaio-RO but I'll have a look for it. I'll need to go shopping and buy more tissues.

I did watch a few episodes in the Same Sex Formal series. They're actually part of the Love in Full Colour program. Worth watching! I'm not sure if it was still part of Love in Full Colour, but following was a great couple of episodes about transgender kids and teens. Worth watching.

Super star contributor
taokat

Must admit I haven't watched Dear Zachary yet. I've just seen it's on YouTube though, so will get to it.

I watched another documentary called Of Two Minds that some parents may find interesting, as I did. It's on Netflix. It follows the stories of three fascinating people who have bipolar. It's very honest and gives a great insight into the various facets of the spectrum of bipolar. It does contain course language and talk of past drug use and suicide attempts, some with brief details. 

The story is about adults with the illness, but as a mum with a daughter who has bipolar I found it insightful and educational in terms of the future. It really showed me that the best thing I can do as a mum is embrace and love her quirks and differences and be there lovingly through all her ups and downs. If she can embrace herself for all she is, she will have a much brighter future.

Super star contributor
taokat

Another forum topic compelled me to look for the names of two documentaries I watched after watching Same Sex Formal. They were heartwarming, heartbreaking and worth watching.

They are about transgender kids and teens. One is an Australian doco called Being Me. It's on YouTube. It is about transgender pre-teens and follows a couple of childrens stories. 

The other series I watched part of was called Trans Reality, also on YouTube. It follows the stories of transgender teens. The episode I watched was of a now young woman, who'd been beaten by her brother and rejected by her family, and show her struggles and amazing strength of character.

Scribe
freshcalendar

Message contains a hyperlink

I totally agree with u.  Woman Indifferent