Need help now?

Gratitude exercise

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Prolific scribe
Luula

Re: Gratitude exercise

@JenniferS we do pits and cherries at our house also, except we call it 'worst thing, best thing'. It's funny how the mind always recalls the worst thing so easily but you have to think a bit harder to recall the best thing. I do find the more we focus on gratitude and 'the best thing' the easier it comes. Have you had a similar experience with doing pits and cherries?

Active scribe
dont-lose-hope

Hey all,
Love this and although I do this with myself I will try this with the girls and let you know...thanks!!!
Lee
Contributor
Sophie-RO

Do let us know how you go @dont-lose-hope!
Prolific scribe
Luula

Hey @dont-lose-hope, did you get a chance to try this with your girls? How did it go?

Contributor
Mitzi

Message contains a hyperlink

I was reading something over the weekend which said the act of writing down (or typing into you phone) three things you are grateful for - every day for 21 days - can actually rewire our brains to be more positive.

It's similar to the article @Sophie-RO linked to earlier in this thread but was a new study. I'm going to try it. Found the link.

Super frequent scribe
Kalis

Message contains a hyperlink

That sounds like a really useful tactic @Mitzi. You inspired me to make a start myself and I found this thread on being grateful. Thanks for the inspiration! Smiley Happy

Super star contributor
taokat

I know this is an older thread but I think it's a fabulous idea that we should try and keep going.

Today I'm grateful for -

- a roof over my head to keep us dry in the rain. 

- my daughter's love

- having hope.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Agreed @taokat  It's always a good time for an "Attitude of Gratitude!"

Today I'm grateful for:

1. My daughter worked on her Macbeth speech last night and wrote an amazing piece without any signs of annoyance or frustration or anger.

2. I had a 3 hour Nerf gun war with my son on Sunday and we had a ball. It was awesome to see that he's growing out of the tantrums if he loses thing.

3. My eldest is settled in her new place and is so happy. She texted me that she had set up her gas account. It was a proud moment for all of us. Smiley Wink

Hey @mum2twins@taziness and @AnnAnn - keen to have a go?

Highlighted
Active scribe
mum2twins

Hi @Ngaio-RO. I love this conversation. We used to have a "best thing worst thing" dinner time talk about our day when the kids were younger and now they often start a conversation with "what's the best thing that happened to you today?". We also had a "one thing you learnt today that you didn't know when you woke up this morning" which often resulted in very funny conversations.

Anyway.... I'm grateful for:

1. My daughter, who suffers from anxiety and often refuses to go to school, went today without fuss, even though I could see she didn't want to;

2. The rain which means I can take "water the garden" off my to do list this week;

3. Cricket season finishing with a win at the Grand Final so my son is proud of his efforts and I don't have to drive him to the matches until the next season starts ;-)

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That's wonderful @mum2twins How proud you must be of your daughter for going to school. Good on her!