Is anyone else feeling unsupported with a teenager that has anxiety ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent scribe

Re: Is anyone else feeling unsupported with a teenager that has anxiety ?

Hi @Zoesplace, thanks for your kind words and support. Sometimes I wonder where my sweet girl has gone and has been replaced by the exorcist , she is so angry and defensive and that's when we are not even arguing. I'm going to wait until she cools down a bit and ask her why, I know she is stressed with the hsc but am wondering is it worth it if it is making her so stressed? I told her I am not bothered by her mark but she feels under pressure to do well.
Frequent scribe

Thanks for your words of support @Zoesplace. Sometimes I wonder where my sweet girl has gone I know she's in there somewhere!
Frequent scribe

Sorry I just repeated myself I didn't think previous post went through
Highlighted
Prolific scribe

She's is in there! The sweet girl will return, it will just take awhile. If there is anything positive I have gained from all the trauma I have been through with my daughter it's a stronger and deeper relationship. I didn't think it was possible. Buts it's truly an amazing feeling.
Frequent scribe

Thanks @sunflowermom I will keep this in mind 😊
Frequent scribe

Hi everyone thanks for your support . I just wanted to share that my daughter and myself have had 2 good days. A lot has to do with my attitude. Today I was able to go to the river after work and relax a bit before I went home. I was able to come home feeling good and not reacting to things so easily. We had a chat this week when things were calm and was able to get from my daughter that her studies(yr 12) are stressing her out and also my reactions and my moods.
So I have to admit to her, myself and you guys that my reactions made her more withdrawn and we unfortunately were always at each other because we were BOTH moody and irritable, this was so hard for me to realise. I really have to take a long hard look at myself and try to improve this as I think I have been living on edge for quite a long time . I actually have anxiety too which I guess feeds off her anxiety. Urgh. Any way none of us are perfect but we need to look at how we are speaking and reacting as we can be unknowingly hindering communication with our teen. Good luck guys.Thanks for listening enjoy your weekend 😊
Parent Peer Supporter

Hi @Caz01 so glad that you and your daughter have had a few good days, and you were able to sit down and talk.  One of the things that my daughters case worker recommended is wait until everyone was calm before attempting to talk about things. Even after a stressful situation, it can take sometimes 24 hours for the mind and body to completing calm down. Its really hard to pause before responding, but it works.

Some wonderful positive words from @sunflowermom. I didn't recognise my daughter when she was really sick. She looked the same, but nothing about her behavior, thoughts or actions reflected the sweet girl that I raised. It is now 1.5 years since my daughter got really sick, and while things are sometimes still a struggle... my sweet caring girl is back and we are closer than ever. Hang in there... things wont always be like they are now. 

Frequent scribe

Thankyou @Zoesplace yes it is much easier to talk when we are all feeling calmer. I'm just going to soak it in and enjoy the good days 😊Today we took our kelpie x to an offleash park which is really good and she can open up and talk to people, I can see she finds joy in this. We are also looking into volunteering at the pound which I will go to as well and then hopefully be able to leave her there later on.
Parent Peer Supporter

It's such a tough time to get through, especially when you're feeling unsupported @Caz01. I can relate to that feeling at the moment. 

We're going through a period where I'm feeling very unsupported with the anxiety my daughter's been going through to do with an upcoming work placement for tafe. Her psychiatrist decided to take her off her medication last week despite knowing how highly stressed my daughter is which saw her not attend tafe again this week. 

I have given up work, friends, everything to be here for my daughter over the last 5 years and feeling very unsupported and overwhelmed with it all. 

I'm a single mum too, my daughter's father isn't around, and my daughter won't stay with family members so I understand how exhausting and full-on it can be. 

Do you do anything for self-care to help you get through and to try and bolster your energy levels? I try and get out for a walk and I do tai chi twice a week which helps me keep going. 

Mod

You are both very strong and empowering women! @taokat @Caz01 

Tai chi - I keep hearing about! This is quite a respectful practice? That encompasses mindfulness is that right?