Need help now?

Is anyone else feeling unsupported with a teenager that has anxiety ?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Is anyone else feeling unsupported with a teenager that has anxiety ?

Frequent scribe
Caz01

Re: Is anyone else feeling unsupported with a teenager that has anxiety ?

Thankyou @Zoesplace yes it is much easier to talk when we are all feeling calmer. I'm just going to soak it in and enjoy the good days 😊Today we took our kelpie x to an offleash park which is really good and she can open up and talk to people, I can see she finds joy in this. We are also looking into volunteering at the pound which I will go to as well and then hopefully be able to leave her there later on.
Super star contributor
taokat

It's such a tough time to get through, especially when you're feeling unsupported @Caz01. I can relate to that feeling at the moment. 

We're going through a period where I'm feeling very unsupported with the anxiety my daughter's been going through to do with an upcoming work placement for tafe. Her psychiatrist decided to take her off her medication last week despite knowing how highly stressed my daughter is which saw her not attend tafe again this week. 

I have given up work, friends, everything to be here for my daughter over the last 5 years and feeling very unsupported and overwhelmed with it all. 

I'm a single mum too, my daughter's father isn't around, and my daughter won't stay with family members so I understand how exhausting and full-on it can be. 

Do you do anything for self-care to help you get through and to try and bolster your energy levels? I try and get out for a walk and I do tai chi twice a week which helps me keep going. 

Star contributor
Breez-RO

You are both very strong and empowering women! @taokat @Caz01 

Tai chi - I keep hearing about! This is quite a respectful practice? That encompasses mindfulness is that right?

Super star contributor
taokat

That's so lovey of you to say @Breez-RO, thank you Smiley Happy

I love tai chi. It's very calming and involves slow controlled movements which exercises the body, calms the mind and focuses your energy, so yes, does encompass mindfulness. There are some moves in tai chi that are more aggressive but the classes I attend are more about gentle exercise and balancing mind, body and soul.

Highlighted
Parent/Carer Community Champion
sunflowermom

Hi Taokat
I'm sorry you and your daughter are going through a difficult chapter. I'm sure sometime you feel like you will never get off the rollercoaster. I am so glad you practice self care like walks and tai chi. Your daughter sees that too, so it's an awesome example.
Caz01, I am thrilled ur family has been having good days. Going out and doing activities always helps us too. I love the idea of volunteering at the pound. I have a suggestion, I downloaded a "mood" app. I have been keeping track of my daughter's days for months now. Making notes when she self harms, does homework, practices a calming technique, change of meds, got period, really anything good and bad. It has helped me observe and check for patterns. I just check in with it once a day. It has been extremely helpful info when i look back at it.just thought I would share.
Lately I'm learning to observe more with my eyes and stop reacting from the top of my emotions and heart so quickly.
Frequent scribe
Caz01

Thankyou@Breez-RO 😊
Frequent scribe
Caz01

Hi @taokat. Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time atm. A bit of bad timing with the medication for your daughter eh. It's great that your daughter is able to attend tafe though.
Tai chi sounds wonderful and relaxing and a great way to stay grounded. I have been walking a bit which keeps me more relaxed and positive. It's sounds like you are a very caring and giving mum taokat sometimes we have to give up so much to look after our precious ones. I was fortunate to be able to hold down a job as I'm self employed and could come home at lunch and also take my daughter to work as well.
Frequent scribe
Caz01

Thanks @ sunflowermom , great suggestion about mood app I will look in to it. 😊
Super frequent scribe
Nervous

I hear you, it's a very lonely place to be dealing with a daughter that has anxiety issues (a others),

I find at times my daughter's anxiety causes me to have my own anxiety because it can affect everyday plans and you never know what mood type the anxiety will cause.  I am sure my blood pressure goes thru the roof at these times.  And I find it ever so difficult to find the right words, when I want to say"get over it and just do it" 

Some times there are tears, anger, violence towards me and objects.

I found "Helping Minds" which is for the carers of people with mental or physical problems.

It really is just a place for you to laugh, complain and cry.. They provide empathy, but that might help you...

Frequent scribe
Caz01

Thankyou @Nervous I will take at look at it. 😊