Need help now?

My 14 year old son is shoplifting.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Ali27

We have caught our son with stolen goods and he has also been caught in a store that chose to not call the police, but instead provide him a trespassing order to never return to the store. He is experiencing depression and has both a weekly counselor and psychiatrist for medication.
I have recently found more new items in his room. When I ask about the new items he says they are from a friend. I feel he is lying and concerned about this risky behavior. He says he and his therapist are working on it, and he is not shoplifting.

Highlighted
Star contributor
TOM-RO

Re: My 14 year old son is shoplifting.

Message contains a hyperlink
Hi @Ali27 , Thank you for sharing, I can understand how tough this must be for you. It’s great to hear that you have sought out some extra support for your son. You mentioned that you feel like your son is lying, are there any reasons you may feel this way? I can see how concerning this behaviour is to you.

I also just wanted to let you know that I have had to edit some of your post to make sure if keeps within our community guidelines which you can view here if you'd like to.
Casual scribe
KaseyBear

Re: My 14 year old son is shoplifting.

Teens always looking for adrenaline at this age. For example, when I was 13 was a shoplifter too. 
Try to find another adrenaline source for him. Sport/VideoGames