Need help now?

My 15 year old daughter is very disrespectful and my 14 year old son is addicted to Fortnite

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My 15 year old daughter is very disrespectful and my 14 year old son is addicted to Fortnite

Scribe
ssonnier

Hello Everyone,

I am having a very challenging time with my 15 soon to be 16 year old daughter. She has been very rude and disrespectful towards me even though I treat her kind. I also have a 14 year old son.I am a single parent and am finding it very difficult to handle both of my children lately for different reasons. 

My daughter has been hanging out with a certain girl who at first seemed very nice but since she has her attitude has changed for the worse.Now she acts like I am a bad mom and makes things up out of no where and has turned against me. She has also started vaping which I have talked with her about and she swears she does not do it anymore. 

She talks to me at times like I am her worst enemy! I ask her why and she just makes things up. We will have one good day together and then the next day will be **bleep**. She says that I annoy her but I told her that she still needs to show me respect.

My son I am having trouble with as well. He is 14 and always on his XBOX mostly playing Fortnite. I am at my wits end with trying to get him off that game and getting him outside doing something else. I have put time limits, taken it away, hidden it, thrown it off the balcony, etc... I want to sell the **bleep** thing but it is easier said than done. It is a constant battle with both kids and I don't know what to do. Smiley Sad

Thanks,

Saundra

Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: My 15 year old daughter is very disrespectful and my 14 year old son is addicted to Fortnite

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @ssonnier, thanks for sharing your story. Being a single parent is really hard work. It sounds like a really difficult situation with both of your children and it can be really hard to know where to go to next. It is such a challenge when you don't have another parent to liaise with and you are responsible for all the discipline. It can be really frustrating and can take a toll on ourselves. Have you spoken to a health professional about any of these difficulties?

It sounds like you are trying your best and doing all you can to manage the situation. It can be a challenge to place boundaries with our children especially when it involves things they seem to love. ReachOut has some articles which talks about why people use technology but there are also several articles that detail suggestions. There is also an article here on family conflict. Let us know if you find anything in here helpful. You can also head to the search bar of our forums and type in 'single parent', here are some threads that popped up that you can comment on or read, Article 1, Article 2 and Article 3 which could have helpful suggestions or help you to not feel so alone as a single parent Smiley Happy

I will tag some other members for their input! @arnokenway @taokat @hippychick @sunflowermom @softballmum @Zoesplace @Caz01