Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Parent/Carer Community Champion
compassion

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Thank you for the warm and supportive welcome, Jess1.  I very much appreciate the 'place at the table' here. 

Parent/Carer Community Champion
compassion

Thank you for the warm and supportive welcome, Jess1.  I very much appreciate the 'place at the table' here. 

Scribe
proudfather

1. my 2 boys are 12 and 14 years old
2. i make yoga Smiley Happy

4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years?

I hope i will get this tip here
5. Whats the best thing about weekends?

breakfast with family

Scribe
Lillipilli

Hi there,

i have a 14 year old daughter. Tonight we went for a walk & she tried to tickle me. 

I talk to friends, exercise & eat well

My daughter has just started on antidepressants

love them

time to relax 

Star contributor
Breez-RO

Hi @Lillipilli, thanks for posting. Just clarifying - you love the antidepressants? Have they been working well for your Daughter? In regards to the tickling, were you two playing etc? Keen to hear more about your situation with your Daughter and the sort of support you need Smiley Happy 

Scribe
Freedom

Hi there, I heard about Reachout from a friend on Facebook.
I have a 17 year old who's a couple of months from turning 18.
My husband and I are currently going through separation and I have observed that my daughter is trying to push us to do more things together.
She says that she understands what I'm going through but her actions are the opposite. She can be very forceful and controlling like her dad but quite a recluse like me.
She spends most of her time in her room and feels very uncomfortable going in public. She has very low self esteem because of her weight and acne issues.
We're trying a dermatologist for her skin but don't know how to support her in terms of her self esteem and the separation.
Highlighted
Prolific scribe
Erin-RO

Welcome to RO @Freedom and thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like there are a number of things happening for your daughter right now Heart

Is she seeing a counsellor or psychologist regarding her self-esteem and the separation? Perhaps being able to chat to someone a little bit independent of what's going on may be helpful?

Scribe
SashaS

Hello, I am very new here.
I am a dad of 2 kids, 19 girl & 14 boy.
Both kids are adopted from overseas. Both with us from 1 year of age.
Currently we are having issues with our son, who has been in trouble with police and has just been suspended from high school, with possible expulsion.
Both my wife and I are still very numb from this ordeal. We question ourselves about what we have done or gone wrong.
The behaviour has been increasingly escalating, until he was finally arrested.
Unbeknown to us he had been sneaking out in middle of night to meet up with friends. Only stopping when arrested.
We have no idea what to do next.
Talking to him does not seem to register.
Please if anyone has similar issues would love to know what worked or didn't work.
Thank you SashaS
Active scribe
Motherofteen

Re: Hi I'm a mum rubysixseven

1 My daughter is about to turn 16. She made me laugh today when talking in an accent.
2. I get massages when I’m really really stressed.
3 I’m really struggling with my daughter who is severely depressed and has serious anxiety as well.
4. Try and have patience
5. Netflix and sleeping in.
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: Hi I'm a mum rubysixseven

Hi @SashaS and @Motherofteen, you both have mentioned what you have been struggling with. It sounds like an awful lot to deal with. Have either of you received any support throughout this so far?

I encourage you both to make your own thread in the main threads. You are more likely to get responses from other parents there as this thread is mostly for new users and short snippets.