Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Hi @Holly87, welcome to ReachOut and thanks for introducing yourself. It sounds like you are having difficulties with your teenager daughter at the moment. This can be such a difficult time period for parents. Please know that you are not alone and we are all here to listen. If you want to share more about what is going on for you, you can click 'Start a topic' in the top right hand corner of the screen to create your own thread. Doing this will allow other parents to be able to offer their support and also share their experiences Heart
Scribe
madame-connect

Introduction

Hello everyone.  i am a mother of two a boy 15years and a girl 12 years. i love to hang out with teenagers. i always organise event for teens and pre-teens once in a month. i am a teacher. it is great to be here. 

Contributor
Bre-RO

Re: Introduction

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @madame-connect it's great to have you here - it sounds like you'll be bring a lot of value being a mum as well as a teacher. What's your favorite thing about teaching? 

Also, just had to let you know that I had to remove some of your post as this is an anonymous forum. We have some guidelines around how to post that might be good to look at here, when you have the time. 

Scribe
Projectiger

Hi I'm a mum of a nearly 20 year son, 15 and 7 year daughters.  My 15 year daughter told me over the weekend that she has had suicidal thought and started harming herself since about October last year.  I'm looking for guidance/help from people that have experienced the same issues and what support I can give her to help her heal. 

Contributor
Hannah-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Projectiger thanks for posting on the forum, we've sent you an email with some information that might be of interest to you.

There are parents on the forum who have experienced similar issues with their children, you are not alone Heart

We have a number of different helpful articles on our website about teenagers and self-harming including real stories and tips for parents, you can find them here

It sounds like this is a stressful time for you as well, if you would like additional support you can contact Parentline, they have a helpline where you can receive counselling and some great resources on their website too.

Some parents find it useful to speak to a GP about what is going on for them and their child, is this something you think might be helpful for you?

We would also encourage you to contact emergency services if there is a medical emergency and you need immediate assistance.

Feel free to let us know how you're going, all the best.

Contributor
Hannah-RO

Hi Everyone!

I want to give a welcome to some new members of the forum !

@LJmumof3  @Aimee @Doobiesmum @Sviests @Mumma72 @jak123 @MommaFish3 @The3rdwife @brotherskeeper @Franklin15 @Kate834 @Neelam @Matty7 @serenity2b @Mumofpreppy @Lovingmama 

Feel free to introduce yourselves on this thread and tell us a bit yourself Smiley Happy

Maybe you could tell us about how you found this forum? And what you'd like to get out of it?

I hope you find support here on the forum, there are many parents here with lots of wisdom and experience to share.

Thanks for joining and again, Welcome! Heart

Scribe
Andnowwhat

How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh? I have three children 10/14/17
They make me smile with the recent Tictok trends !!

2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down? Gin!? Friends! Or both ! I lean on my friends and support them back.

3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?
My 14 year old daughter has depression.

4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years?
Listen / engage not enrage.

5. Whats the best thing about weekends?
The lie ins and no bras!
Active scribe
JohnMorrow

John Morrow, reporting for advice

Hello everyone,

My name isn't John Morrow. I'm glad to be here. 

1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh? 1. My 9 year old recently made me laugh by demonstrating why "sharts" happen. "It's because the poop gets in the way and says, you can't get out, then the fart is like" *walks confidently across the floor* 
2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down? Meditating and excercise each and every day. Also, no drinking, no smoking, no drugs, and plenty of sex (when we feel like it)
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today? I've been looking for a parenting forum forever. I have a joined family, and two polar opposite girls, and I have all these crazy emotions, and all this protectiveness that I've been trying to self-psychoanalyze, and it's been a frigging mess... but I'm always trying to see what's going on, I'm always trying to be self-aware and honest with myself about when my actions don't feel right... ugh. I could go on.
4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years? Don't take anything personally, and understand that they are still kids, still developing.
5. Whats the best thing about weekends?

The rule we made where the girls aren't allowed to bust into to our ******* room before we get up.

Contributor
Hannah-RO

Thank you for your posts @Andnowwhat and @JohnMorrow ! It's great to have you both here.

I love "engage not enrage" @Andnowwhat, i think that could make a great t-shirt/bumper sticker! Definitely going to use that one.

And @JohnMorrow you said you've been looking for a parenting forum for a while, I hope we're able to provide the support you're after. I also love what you said about not taking things personally, I feel that is really great advice for parents of teens who are as angsty as I was!

Just tagging some of our new members if they want to jump in and introduce themselves as well Smiley Very Happy

@proudmumof2 @Basix @JaneT @shelleyko @dmoak100 @Rachjaxx @Sonolat @doodlecheese @stellabentley @Jennfromoz @DB602 @EmbarrassingQ @SeafoamGreen @jamman 

Casual scribe
dav9011

1. Daughter is 5 and she calls herself a pirate Smiley Happy

2. I try to focus on my life sometimes, apart from work and family. E.g.guitar playing.

3. Interest did.

4. Remember yourself at that age.

5. Family time!