Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Active scribe
Oceanentity

hi

1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh? 14,19 & part time 10 year old step daughter )  ( laughs ? 14 year old opening a can ,19 year old wearing a large tee shirt , 10 year old getting forgetful.
2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down? go to work. zone out
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today? confrontation with the 14 year old
4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years? enjoy the stress free no worrying while you can
5. Whats the best thing about weekends. sleep ins

Active scribe
St_George-

Re: New member? Introduce yourslf here!

Hi @waldo_pepper

I like your comment - 'The best was "just give your kids unconditional love and we can work everything else out somehow".' It's tough when there's unrelenting verbal abuse but you're right. We have to model love and restraint and not respond in kind. 

Prolific scribe
taziness

Re: Hello everyone!

Just wanted to say a big hello to all the new and fabulous parents who care enough about our young people to be here! It truly takes a community to raise them Smiley Wink Looking forward to gradually 'meeting' you all! It's good to see the space growing.

I found ReachOut late last year as a result of committed searching to support one of my five young people, aged between 12 and 21. It was such a lifeline at the time (when I was discovering the reasons behind the Mental health issues arising - much of it media related to Body Image), that since then I've endeavoured to spread the word - on and offline! It's such a great online resource to 'have up your sleeve' but also a really supportive community when you need it most! By the way, did you know that you can order free resources on this site too for your workplace, school or community group? Stickers, posters etc - very cool Smiley Happy

I'm learning to 'relax' with Mindfulness practice, which actually came about via looking for support for my teens. We have so much to learn from each other! That's probably my best bit of advice learnt on this journey!

We come and go from this space as time allows, as issues arise or engage us and to share tips, experiences, perspectives and more!

This is a really a sharing and supportive space for us all, thanks RO Smiley Wink

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Active scribe
chickieDo

It is important to point out to your child that verbal abuse is domestic abuse. Domestic abuse should not be tolerated.

Highlighted
Super star contributor
taokat

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Welcome to the forums @Jomumma@content1@smurfette@mmagee and @ElenaDav. You've come to a wonderful and supportive bunch of parents, all struggling at times, and sharing what we've learned at others. There are many topics here with info on all sorts of things, and new topics are always encouraged. Smiley Happy

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: hi

Welcome @Oceanentity. Our kids can be funny can't they! It's important to remember when they are driving us crazy lol. 

Sleep-ins are my favourite. A day in bed, my current dream!

Active scribe
Kamogelok

Hi I am Kamogelo, I'm new ti this community and i am happy to be here.
Super star contributor
taokat

Hey @Kamogelok, it's lovely to have you here. 

What has brought you to the forum? Kids obviously! How old are yours? I have a 15 year old daughter who keeps me on my toes.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO
Moved Moved:

Hey @Lidya I've moved your post to Connecting With Teens and their Wellbeing as I think this is a really important conversation that needs its own thread. Hope that's ok.

Super star contributor
taokat

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Ginger, welcome back. I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. It must be very hard for you feeling like your son hates you. I know it's hard when our kids speak to us in swear words only. One thing I've learned with my daughter, is that whatever she is putting out to me, she is feeling about herself. 

ReachOut offers coaching for parents to help with whatever problems you may be struggling with with your teen. It's very flexible and done online whilst talking with your coach over the phone. Check it out here if you like. You will learn techniques that you can use immediately. There is also some fantastic information here on effective communication with teens, and you'll see another tab called 'Things to try'. This will give you some tips on how to reconnect with your son. 

I understand your frustration about calling authorities, then being left alone again. My daughter used to be extremely aggressive and violent, and sanctioned under the mental health act up to 3 times a week. We'd sit at the hospital for hours waiting to be seen, and when she had settled, she'd be sent home again - until the next time! I used to find it incredibly frustrating! She's either been too violent for admissions to places she could get help, and although she still needs help, she is classed as not being 'unwell enough' to be admitted, unless she decides herself she'd like the help. And what 15 year old wants to be admitted to a live in service?! So the buck stops with me. And it sounds like that's where it has stopped for you too. I completely agree with you that there are still big gaps in the mental health support services. 

You will find loads of understanding parents here, so please use us as a support.