Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

It's great to have you here @Jeepadventures. I'm sorry to hear your daughter suffers with anxiety. Have you seen the fact sheet here on anxiety? It also gives some tips on how to deal with it. I'm happy to provide the link if you haven't seen it yet. 

So many teens suffer with anxiety these days. It's a different life to when I was growing up, with so many stressors now. My daughter has it too, and I can relate to what you say about it robbing their joy. It's so hard as a parent not being able to fix it and having to see our kids so anxious and unhappy.

I look forward to interacting with you in the forum.

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Message contains a hyperlink

Thanks for sharing @Jeepadventures and I am glad you found the Reach Out Parents forum... I am positive you will find the support here that you are looking for.  Here is the link that @taokat mentioned Click here 

Feel free to share as much or as little as you like.  I am sure there are plenty of other parents in a similar situation that would be happy to share their experiences. 

Contributor
Beingme2017

Welcome to the Reachout Parent forums @Fisher and @Kizaa 

You've come to a wonderful and supportive group of parents - this is a safe place to vent, share stories, ask for advice and offer your own suggestions to others.

Please let us know what led you to ReachOut Parents? Feel free to tell us a little more about yourselves

Look forward to seeing you both in the forums Smiley Happy

Super star contributor
taokat

I'd like to welcome our newest members, @KittyUpgrade@Tuckers and @active. Thanks for joining and we look forward to interacting with you in the forum. 

So we can get to know a little bit about you first, would you mind answering a couple of questions?

1. How old are your kids and what's something about them that makes you laugh? (writes mum of single child)

2. What brought you to ReachOut?

3. What do weekends mean to you?

4. What are two pieces of parenting advice you'd give to mums and dads with kids nearing their teens?

Active scribe
Mumof3boys

Hi,

1. I am a mum of 3 boys ages 16, 11 and 2 1/2 years old - my younger boys make me laugh every day just by being quirky and showing me thier personalities growing daily.

2. I destress by going out on weekends, shopping or staying home and having a movie day with the family.
3. My 16 year old son keeps taking off, not answering my calls, he is smoking pot and wants to change schools midway through Year 11.
4. There is no handbook or tips for parenting teenagers I can offer at the moment.
5. Family time

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Welcome to ReachOut Parents @Mumof3boys So wonderful to have you here!

I have gaps with my 3 kids too. How do you find the older boys are with the youngest? Does your 11-year-old help out?

So sorry to hear what's going on with your eldest boy. How would you feel about clicking here and writing about what's happening? This way other parents can reply and offer support without it being lost in this thread.

Thanks again for joining us! Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything you're unsure about.

Active scribe
Mumof3boys

Hi Ngaio-RO,

Thanks for the welcome!

The eldest (16)loves his smallest brother (2) to bits, the 11 year old helps out off and on, he is very much about keeping his little bro out of his bedroom at the moment.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Haha tweens! Such a tough age. @Mumof3boys

I was so surprised (maybe more disappointed) when my middle child, after years of rejection from her big sister and years of her begging for her big sister to include her in ANYTHING, then became a big sister that slams the door in her little brother's face endlessly.

It was silly of me but honestly thought she would see how he was exactly as she had been and would, therefore, have some compassion for him. Nope! Zilch.

It's great that your eldest has a strong connection to your youngest. Those bonds are strengths that can be utilised to help him understand the need for change. How his little brother perceives him will matter to him and that can be used as motivation. Connections are incredibly important for teenagers who are struggling so it's wonderful that he has that in addition to his other connections.

Star contributor
Zoesplace

A big warm hello to our newest member @dadamarl  Smiley Happy

Feel free to introduce yourself, we'd love to know a bit more about you. 

1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh?
2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down?
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?
4. Whats the best thing about weekends?

Or, if you'd just rather start a discussion about something that's on your mind you can do that here - hope to keep seeing you around!

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Welcome to the Reachout Parent forums @Becca
You've come to a wonderful and supportive group of parents - this is a safe place to share stories, ask for advice and offer your own suggestions to others.   
Please feel free to let us know what led you to ReachOut Parents?  Look forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy