Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Message contains a hyperlink

Welcome to our newest members @raeofsunshine@zoevic@designbiz@MrsIncredible (love your name!) and @neallkriete. It's great to have you part of the community!

We'd like to get to know a little more about you all, so invite you to answer the following questions.

1. Name two things about your teen/s that makes you laugh.

2. What is a piece of advice you'd give to parents with kids about to enter their teenage years?

3. How did you hear about ReachOut?

4. What's your favourite thing about weekends?

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about the forum, or the free Parent Coaching ReachOut offers.  

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Welcome to the Reachout Parent forums @Olddancer
You've come to a wonderful and supportive group of parents - this is a safe place to share stories, ask for advice and offer your own suggestions to others.   
Please feel free to let us know what led you to ReachOut Parents?  Look forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Welcome to our newest members @Rissa2408 @noram @Angel-Wings1974 @mac-b3141 . It's great to have you part of the Reach Out Parents community!

We would love for you to introduce yourselves, so feel free to answer the following questions, or you can start a topic about anything on your mind by clicking  here 

1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they have done recently to make you laugh.

2. Parenting can be really stressful.  How do you keep your stress levels down?

3. What led you to ReachOut Parents?

4. What's your favourite thing about weekends?

Hope to hear from you soon Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Active scribe
Sunny

Hi, I'm new in this community!

1. We have a 16 year old son and two adult daughters. They do make us laugh when we have a relaxed chat. Just normal jokes or teasing, pointing out bad habits on us sometimes.

2. We have been dealing with stress differently across the ages. When they were younger we explained things a lot to them but also felt sometimes that it was ok to show them that they actually did upset us. When they got older, we tried to be funny about stressy situations until they turned around and told us that we were sarcastic. Can a parent ever win? Now with our son it varies as he learnt from watching us trying to smooth the atmosphere and he knows what to do to spark a telling off to which, he can let out his anger. We try to be assertive and sticking with our values as a family. There is no negotiation on that one. On the rest we try not to say anything just to listen. I also try to tell him as often as possible that being reactive is a learnt behaviour (and not a good one!) from a younger age on both the children and the parents' sides which needs to be adjusted and corrected. It seems to be working for us at the moment.

3. It's nice to be able to share thoughts, experiences and problems with others who are going through similar issues.

4. It's a passing phase! They turn to their opposites for about 5 years but then they come around again! We went through some tough time with the girls and they all turned out absolutely fantastic in every ways by the end! So take a deep breathe and try the go through it by keeping in the mind not to say or do those things that you would regret when they face you with them in their 20s or when they will have kids! Rather bite your lips. Smiley Happy

5. Lots of sleep and planning our own lives, not theirs. 

Super star contributor
taokat

Hi @Sunny, it's lovely to have you in the forum, welcome!

Thank you so much for sharing, I enjoyed reading about your family. I really love what you say about being reactive, and both children and parents needing to correct that behaviour in ourselves. It really struck a cord with me, and my little family has reaped the benefits from making that change too. It's not always easy and slip ups happen, but we're human! 

I was also given a boost by your advice that it's a passing phase. It's great hearing that your girls have come through some tough teenagehood times to be wonderful adults. I'm sure you have loads of wisdom!

I look forward to seeing you in the forum. I agree, it's great having other parents to share with, and it's why I love the forum. We all have things to offer, and things to learn Smiley Happy

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Welcome to the Reach Out Parents forum @PsychBMC @Niksta and @Cozzie

You have come to the right place. There are many compassionate parents on the forum. We offer each other support and share stories about the challenges and joys of raising teens.

We invite you to introduce yourself, or if you'd just rather start a discussion about something that's on your mind you can do that here - hope to keep seeing you around!

Super star contributor
taokat

Hi @Nancy0115, welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Thank you for sharing with us already in the forum, it's great seeing our members involved.

So we can get to know a little more about you, it'd be great if you answer a few questions.

1. What are your kids ages, and what is something about them that makes you laugh?

2. What do weekends mean to you?

3. What are two pieces of advice you'd give parents with kids approaching the teenage years?

4. What brought you to ReachOut?

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Super star contributor
taokat

Welcome to the forum @4mybabies@Bulner@JClampitt@sprunty and @IsuruFon, it's great to have you as members.

We always enjoy getting to know our new parents, and have a few questions to help us with that if you'd like to answer. Remember to remain anonymous!

1. What are the ages of your kids, and what is one thing you really enjoy about their personalities?

2. Parenting can be really stressful - what are a few things you do to keep your stress levels down?

3. What has brought you to ReachOut?

4. What's your top piece of advice for parents with kids entering their teenage years?

We look forward to seeing you in the forum!

Contributor
LovingThruBlue

Re: Introduction

Hi 😃 @northbrisbane. Welcome. Can you tell us a bit about yourself? 

Active scribe
4mybabies

Hi my kids are 20,14,13,13 and 1
My kids make me laugh everyday I can't point out one thing really. Stress levels I go outside and breathe,what led me to reach out is I am having a difficult time with my 3 teenage boys, and after some tips and advice, the best advice I can give is probably take one day at a time and laugh, the best things about the weekend is I don't have to get up too early...