Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Founding member
waldo_pepper

Re: New member? Introduce yourslf here!

Actually T_D the few I spoke to about it were mystified like me but we soon had professional help due to other issues of which the self harm was a manifestation.

Contributor
readthemanual

Hi, hi! I added you as friend as you are the only one I can guess.

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Founding member
Sbaussie

1. How did you find out about Reachout?

Through Facebook where I spend much of my life 🙀

2. What are you most proud of your kids for?

My 14 yo's desire to help round the house and be mature when most needed, like when my wife is away or we're all on holidays and need extra help.

3. What's your number one way to relax?

Anything geeky, on computer|ipad|iphone|ps4 !

4. Tell us the worst piece of parenting advice you ever received

Let your kids do whatever they want, you don't want to make them sad

Then the best piece of parenting advice you ever received?
Allow each member of the family to express how they're feeling even if that's not in a way you'd like (or the response isn't what you'd hoped for). Don't tell your kids off when that's what they're doing.

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Thanks all! Looking forward to seeing what disucssions you start in Skills to build and Common concerns!!

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Remember to keep it anonymous @readthemanual! Smiley Happy
Super star contributor
taokat

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Hi everyone

1. I found out about ReachOut through an email sent out by my daughter's high school after a student suicide.

2. I am most proud of my daughter for the effort she has put in to her own wellbeing over the past couple of years.

3. My number one way to relax is to colour in or do deep breathing exercises.

4. The worst advice I've been given was to buy my daughter a dog - we live in a high rise unit block, in a small unit with 2 cats, no dogs allowed. This was given by mental health team members at hospital after my daughter ended up there after an episode.

The best piece of advice I've been given is to be 'kinder, wiser and stronger' when dealing with issues.

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @taokat, welcome! I'm also a big fan of relaxing by colouring in.

Sounds like you and your daughter have gone from strength to strength and it's great to hear your daughter is working hard on her wellbeing!

Hope to keep seeing you around - would love to hear your thoughts on this discussion about talking to teens about alcohol..

See you round the forums!

Super frequent scribe
HalleysComet

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @taokat, sorry to hear about the suicide at your daughters school. It can have a ripple effect but it sounds like the school is doing the right thing by talking about it and making sure people know where to go for help.

Awesome how proud you are of her and that she's been working on her wellbeing. Does she use the ReachOut site for young people?

I like their app Breathe, its aimed at young people but good for any age really. Hope to keep seeing you around... Would love to hear your thoughts on any of these discussions...

Frequent scribe
MeJane

Not really new but didn't do this yet

1. How did you find out about ReachOut?

A friend told me about it

2. What are you most proud of your kids for?

Hard to say, every day I'm proud of the little things and seeing the people they are growing up to be

3. What's your number one way to relax?

Music!

4. What was the worst andthen the best parenting adivce you've got?

Hmm.. not sure... some of the others have covered it!

Active scribe
twentyfive

hi there, I've never done anything like this before!  Kind of like parenting a teenager, that's new for me too!

1. How did you find out about ReachOut?  Facebook

2. What are you most proud of your kids for? Their kind friendly nature

3. What's your number one way to relax? walking

4. What was the worst andthen the best parenting adivce you've got? when they're little the problems are little, when they're big, the problems are bigger!  Could fit both of these I think!