Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Welcome to our newest member, @Sophie - you have a VERY cool name.
- From Sophie Smiley Happy

We'd love to know a little more about about you - if you're up for it, here's some Qs for you:
please feel free to introduce yourself by answering the Qs below or just say HI!

1. How old are your kids and what makes you proud of them?
2. What led you to signing up to RO Parents?
3. Tell us more about your username - any special meaning?
4. What's your number one way to relax?
5. What was the worst and then the best parenting adivce you've got?

Active scribe
Beekeeper

1. My children are G18, B16, B13 and G10.
  2. I heard about RO on Spotify and the messages made me wonder about my kids internalised feelings
  3. Beekeeper is a direct translation of my family name
  4. Bottle of wine, cheese platter and some sofa banter
  5. Worst: To be tough and mean to my kids when they are selfish, hurtful or nasty.  Best: To not give up loving them.

My ex-wife and children relocated to rural Victorian towns 5 years ago with fortnightly weekend visits.  6 months ago they relocated to far north Queensland except my elder son decided to live with me and he began year 11.

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Beekeeper, a very big welcome to you! Nice to hear that the Spotify ads got you thinking, and we're really glad that you signed up.

I love a cheese platter too, great way to relax....

As you've got two boys, I wonder if you have any thoughts for our mum here who is worried about her 14 year old boy who is isolating himself from his friends and family...

Casual scribe
nellyblye

Hello

I have 1 girl,she is 22 yrs old

I am so proud of her because not matter what obstacles get put in her way on her journey in life she confronts them head on and overcomes negitivity.

I am friends with my daughter on facebook and I seen that she liked this group and she has been trying to tell me how she feels when she gets anxious and I have always told her that everything is ok and never really discussed openly about it with her.

3. Tell us more about your username - any special meaning? 

My username is a nickname my father used to call me .I guess that as a parent i always wanted to do things differently and not to put a wall up with my child ,but it is not always that easy.

I like to cook or do craft .I like to create things and to give them away .That gives me such joy and helps me to focus on other things.

The worst parenting advice was  to let her go and do whatever she wants because we dont need to care about them after they start school.

The best parenting advice was that if your child or young adult talks to you,be present.Listen ,look at them dont be so distracted that you dont hear them.

Thank you Smiley Happy

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Hey there @nellyblye, thanks so much for letting us know a little bit more about you! You daughter sounds really resilient, an amazing quality to have.

I was wondering if this info might help you understand a litttle more about anxiety and what your daughter might be experiencing? I know it's called 'Anxiety and Teenagers', but it still might give you some insight...

Sadly anxiety is quite common with up to 1 in 5 young women your daughters age - so she is certainly not alone and there is lots of help out there.

I love your advice about being present and listening, I'd have to agree wholeheartedly with that - 100%!

Hope to keep seeing you around... Maybe you have some words of wisdom for some of our other parents with younger kids who are wondering whether to let them drive with friends who have just got their Ps??? Did you go through that with your daughter? Let them know your thoughts here, nellyblye!

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Welcome our newest members @Brain-Fog (I can relate!! Smiley Very Happy) and @Sonny (& Cher? Sorry, bad joke/Dad joke)

Hope to hear more about you and the fam by asking you these 5 little Qs - feel free to answer them!

Highlighted
Scribe
Brain-Fog

1. Daughter 18 - mature, polite, respectful, funny, aims high, kind, loving.

Son 16 - my baby still, kind, loving, funny, tries hard to do his best. 

2. Daughter struggling with VCE, friendship groups, this year has just spiralled down.

Despite help from GP & counceller, she is not improving and I feel like the whole situation is sucking the life out of our family. My strength and positivity is waning.

3. Brain fog - thats my daughter most of the time and now I am starting to feel the same.

4. Relax - watch my shows on TV, sell on ebay.

5. Worst - give up. Best - be kind and respectful to others, treat them as you wish to be treated. Be honest and trustworthy, rules are there to protect you so obey them. Live and enjoy life but don't put yourself in dangerous situations. Don't try drugs, you NEVER know what poison is in them.

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Hey @Brain-Fog thanks so much for stopping by and letting us know a little bit more about you...

Sounds like you do need some support right now, good on you for reaching out when you feel your strength/positivity is waning...

If you wanted to, you could start a new topic here and let us know a little more about whats going on for you....

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Welcome our newest members @Jo-Jo @Kristen & @mitsyg! Feel free to answer these 5 little Qs so we can get to know a little more about you!

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Hello to @williamsun! Hello t@Genius! Welcome to the forum - if you are up for it, let us know a little more about you by answering these Qs or just say hi

5. What was the worst and then the best parenting advice you've got?