Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Highlighted
Star contributor
Zoesplace

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Message contains an image

Big welcome to our newest members @Simunye @ghostdogs @Falling2pieces and @plascosius  We are so glad you have joined the Reach Out Forums, where you will find many supportive and caring parents

Image result for welcome

We love to get to know our new members, and welcome you to let us know a little about yourself. (Remember to remain anonymous!).  Some suggestions to get you started...

1. What led you to Reach Out?
  2. What is something you cherish about your teen/s?
  3. What is something you do to treat yourself?

Look forward to hearing from you soon Smiley Happy

Active scribe
Wonderous

I have 2 kids 18 and 15

My kids are truly amazing humans and surprise me everyday

I spoke to the school and they told me about ReachOut

Just keep talking

I get to spend more time with my kids

Casual scribe
Alfiepup_17-

Hi I'm Lyn to a daughter who is 16 who suffers from anxiety and depression. It is destroying me inside, I don't always get it right and would appreciate hearing other people's ideas as to the right thing to say and do!

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Hi @Wonderous - a massive welcome to you to our forums!! 
So glad that you did find us, and i really hope it's a place where you can get support. Heart

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Alfiepup_17- welcome to the forum, really glad that you found us. 
Thank you for sharing about your daughter and what she is going through. You'll find that a lot of parents on here are going through similar things with their kid - it's really challenging for everyone. But I hope you find talking to others here helpful. 

I recommend that you go and start new thread   over here , so that people can hear a bit about what's going on and offer their support. Looking forward to hearing more from you Heart

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Message contains an image

A big welcome to ReachOut's newest members @watermelonsugar @Roxygirl and @Mummamags

robin williams hello GIF

It's awesome to have you here! Please feel free to start a new topic and our community will be happy to support you in whatever the issue that has brought you here. 

You are also welcome to introduce yourself - to get started you could answer the following questions? (Remember to remain anonymous!)

1. How many teens are in your care?
  2. What is something your teen has done recently that made you laugh?
  3. What do you do to relax?

Look forward to seeing you on the forums Smiley Happy

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Hi @Alfiepup_17- Welcome to Reach Out and thank you for sharing your story.  It is heartbreaking watching your kids suffering.  Are you receiving any support for your daughter or yourself? 

Casual scribe
Falling2pieces

Hello.. I'm a mother of a 19 yr old daughter and also a new grandmother of a 7 1/2 month old grandson. Since my daughter has become a mother herself at a young age she often likes to party a lot but brings her son with and I'm afraid of a lot of different things happening. I 've talked to her about it several times and the consequences of making bad decisions especially with a child now involved. However what I consider a 'talk ' she looks at it as I'm mothering her, which I might be, but I'm trying to keep her from making the same mistakes as I did. I cherish the few times my daughter and I get to spend quality time together, which doesn't happen much anymore. I try to treat myself to getting my hair colored and styled in a salon vs. buying a box dye and hoping for the best 😊
Super frequent scribe
Tulip

Welcome @Falling2pieces its good you could find the forum it certainly has helped me. It sounds like a difficult situation with you wanting to steer your daughter in the right direction especially as she is a mother now. She is at an age where she would like to have fun but also has some important responsibilities. Can you offer to babysit when she goes out without her taking advantage of you? Maybe once a fortnight. Can you have a chat with her about your concerns? I definitely think the partying is something the kids grow out of. x
Star contributor
Breez-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Falling2pieces, thank you so much for posting and I am so sorry about how painful this experience is for you. So much love and care for both your Daughter and Grandchild shines through that post, if only your Daughter could understand your consequential thinking. But she is very young and those sorts of notions are most likely very minor to her. I am glad you do treat yourself, but perhaps you require further support around this. Would you consider your own therapist who could help you strategise around this situation? There's also Parentline, they can be really good on the go. And of course we are always here to listen and support. How often do you and your Daughter get to speak one on one?

I have pasted below all of the ParentLine contacts for each state in Aus Smiley Happy

Parentline Queensland and the Northern Territory

1300 30 1300 (cost of a local call)
8am to 10pm, seven days a week

Parentline Victoria

13 22 89 (cost of a local call)
Open 8am to midnight 7 days a week

Parent Helpline South Australia

1300 364 100 (cost of a local call)
24 hours a day, seven days a week

Parent Line NSW

1300 1300 52 (cost of a local call)
9am to 9pm Monday - Friday
4pm to 9pm Saturday and Sunday

Parenting Line Western Australia

(08) 6279 1200 or 1800 654 432 (free for STD callers)
24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Parentline ACT

(02) 6287 3833 (cost of a local call)
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday

Parent Line Tasmania

1300 808 178 (cost of a local call)
24 hours a day, 7 days a week