Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Casual scribe
Falling2pieces

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

I appreciate the kind words and the links you provided. I will definitely check into it those. My daughter and I used to have one on one time while she was pregnant up until the end when she abruptly moved out with the babies father. That threw me and my husband in a whirl wind of emotions and worry. We were present for the birth of our grandson and continued to remain supportive to her even though we were "pushed to the side" so to speak. The toughest part was the 'not knowing' how they were doing since my daughter had slowed down her communication with us. A few months later she realized that the path her and the babies father was heading was no where fast and reached out to us for help. We are very thankful for that, and she is now back at home with us. It has definitely been a rough rocky road and we know there's still more ahead considering her age but we've decided to back off and let her figure things/life out on her own. We feel it may be the only way she'll learn what being a parent/growing up is truly all about. I have considered seeing a therapist about some of these new issues we are now faced with and get some needed advice on the 'Do's and don'ts ' in this situation. My husband and I have many conversations about our new changes and challenges but sometimes are completely lost in what to do so it got me looking for support groups like these to see if we can get advice or even some answers. We keep our communication going and lean on one another and keep praying for the best.
Casual scribe
Falling2pieces

Hi tulip, thank you for the kind words and encouragement. Yes we have offered several times to watch our grandson if she was wanting to hang out with friends in a not so kid friendly environment. She was more open to it at first after she moved back home, but then started staying away from home weeks at a time and we hardly saw them. Or she would come home for a few hours to grab more things for her and the baby and then was out the door again with little communication as to what her plans were. I have tried different ways to let her know of our concerns and that we're here to help if needed but not sure sometimes if she's listening or if she's "tuning us out " when we talk to her. My husband and I have gotten to the point of letting her figure things out on her own but still be there for her at a distance because we're at a loss of what to do.
Star contributor
Breez-RO

Hey there @Falling2pieces, your last line - be there at a distance. As frustrating as it is, sounds like the best approach. Loving her with boundaries. Perhaps the main thing from here is to get yourself some support from a professional throughout this whole process? This online community I hope will prove very positive for you in this respect as well Heart

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Message contains a hyperlink

Big Welcome to @syedkashan and @Illyrian  We are so glad you have joined the Reach Out Forums.

We love to get to know our new members, and welcome you to let us know a little about yourself. (Remember to remain anonymous!).  Some suggestions to get you started...

1. What led you to Reach Out?
  2. What is something you cherish about your teen/s?
  3. What is your favourite season and why?

Also, check out our weekly discussion. This week is on Random Acts of Kindness! Click here to jump in! Smiley Happy

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hi everyone,

Today is my first day at ReachOut as an Online Community Co-ordinator and I thought I'd post a message to say hi Smiley Happy I am very excited to start this position and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Check out our community activities calendar here
Frequent scribe
Help_needed

Hi I am a parent of an almost 13 year old daughter and almost 15 year old son and adult son with his own family of 3 which gandkids are gorgeous. Life in the last few weeks have been very stressful with school refusal, bullying, anxiety issues and change of school for my daughter who now wants to return to her old school now that the bullying issue has resolved itself. I love my kids and just want to be a good parent which I am not feeling positive about lately x
Star contributor
Breez-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey there @Help_needed, I am definitely hearing you possess a lot of love for your kids, this is so beautiful. I am sorry about the stress and anxiety you are feeling. Your young one must feel very agitated with the bullying at school. Are you concerned about moving her again and disrupting her learning? If you're keen on starting a thread to gain some support from our community, please feel free to do so here Heart. We are here to listen, hope to hear from you soon. 

Scribe
Thin-L1zzy_

Hi, I have a beautiful 15 year old daughter and I can't quite remember the last time she made me laugh but she often makes me smile.  I manage stress by keeping things in context and trying not to take life too seriously.  I joined ReachOut as I don't always feel effective in supporting my daughter when she becomes unhappy.  My tip is to embrace the teenage years, there's so much transitioning for the whole family.  When you're a shift worker, weekends are irrelevant.  Any time spent with my daughter is precious and I'm also happy when she's with friends and traveling down the path of independence.

Super star contributor
taokat

Welcome to the forum @Thin-L1zzy_, it's so great to have you part of the community. 

I really like all you've written, and your tip is so very true but I think not always understood. As our teens are growing, we as parents need to as well, so peace in the family relies on everyone compromising and changing.

It sounds like you're a proud, loving mum and I look forward to seeing you in the forum Smiley Happy 

Super star contributor
taokat

Message contains an image

A big warm welcome to our newest members @kmmom@me123 and @Poppy01!!

whats up hello GIF by Make it Move

So we can get to know you a little more would you mind answering the following questions? Remember to remain anonymous!

1. What are the ages of your kids, and what is one thing you really enjoy about their personalities?
  2. Parenting can be really stressful - what are a few things you do to keep your stress levels down?
  3. What has brought you to ReachOut?
  4. What's your top piece of advice for parents with kids entering their teenage years?

Thanks for joining us Smiley Happy