Need help now?

RO parents book club

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Prolific scribe
Luula

Re: RO parents book club

@NickiPower I really enjoyed Yes Please! but then I find it hard not to love anything from Leslie Knope... I mean Amy Poehler Smiley Tongue

@Ben-RO did you ever get that beehive going?

I've just started reading a book about non-violent communication by Judith Lasater. Has anyone heard of or tried non-violent communication? 

Super frequent scribe
ElleBelle

I am knee-deep in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon at the moment. Just finished Voyager. Has anyoen else read the books or watched the tv series?

Frequent scribe
seaglecc

"The five love languages of children". Yet to read the teen one. 

Tapping into their love language can really make a difference. 

Highlighted
Super frequent scribe
ElleBelle

What's everyone reading at the moment? I'm finished with Voyager and onto the next Outlander book, Dreams of Autumn.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

I'm not currently reading it but have done a number of times.

It's:

Teenagers, Alcohol and Drugs 

What your kids really want and need to know about alcohol and drugs

by Paul Dillon. 

He's an Australian expert in the field of young people and drug and alcohol use. He set up DARTA (Drug and Alcohol Research & Training Australia) and presents all over the place. This book is just super practical and really informative for parents. It's nice and small so you can read it in a fairly short time. It's also very easy to read, not academic at all.

I think it's a great book for parents of teens to help formulate an approach to alcohol and drug use.

What about you, @Needsainity Any books you would reccommend for parents or are you reading anything for joy at the moment or recently?

Super star contributor
taokat

I'm currently reading 'How To Solve Our Human Problems' by G K Gyatso, a buddhist monk. 

It's so interesting and gives insight into human nature and ways we can deal with anger, frustration, jealousy etc. 

Very useful!

Contributor
Beingme2017

I bought the Anh Do autobiography about 3 weeks ago and it's dutifully sitting on my bedside table waiting for me to pick it up and start !

Has anyone read it ?
I am loving his interview/ painting show on the abc at the moment
Contributor
LovingThruBlue

I've read it @Beingme2017 and I loved it. I also love his TV show and am going to see his live show in September. I'm really looking forward to that.
Contributor
Beingme2017

Oh wow I didn't know he had an upcoming live show ! That will be awesome - lucky you Smiley Happy
Super star contributor
taokat

I haven't read it @Beingme2017, but I really like him, so will have to add it to my pile! Currently that consists of 'Transform Your Life', by GK Gyatso, a Buddhist monk, I need to finish reading 'The Fry Chronicles' by Stephen Fry, and 'A Green and Pleasant Land', by Ursula Buchan. 

Mindfulness is needed to actually finish one task before starting the next! Haha

His show would be fantastic @LovingThruBlue! Enjoy!