Need help now?

Self-Care

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Super frequent scribe
Big_Crab

Self-Care

Hi everyone Smiley Happy,

I have just returned from a weeks vacation with my mum and daughter at Caloundra on the beautiful Sunshine Coast. I took this time out to rest, recharge and rejuvenate.

As parents, I believe it is very important to practice self-care. How can we care for our families when we are draining ourselves to a point of exhaustion.

Self-care doesn't just mean going on vacation. It can be something as simple as taking 10 minutes to walk in the sunshine, listen to some music, or spend time with a friend having coffee. Doing something for you.

Another idea is to buy a gift bag of any size and every week put a small gift that doesn't have to be expensive in, and at the end of the month to celebrate practicing self-care - you have some treats.

Some ideas:

Sample size products of makeup or bath products or other toiletries.

A favourite scented candle

A chocolate bar or healthy snack

Cinema tickets

A new pen or journal

A book or magazine

A gift card for your favourite store

By treating yourself not only are you motivating yourself but showing self-love too.

What ways are you showing yourself self-care?

Active scribe
Bree-RO

Re: Self-Care

@Big_Crab I love this thread, such an important and crucial element of our wellbeing.

I am familiar with that part of the Sunshine Coast, how wonderful! And you're right it's good to be aware of self care tips and tricks to prevent compassion fatigue and exhaustion.

My self care is pretty basic, take the dog to the beach or a sit down alone at the local cafe with a book. Looking forward to hearing further!

Prolific scribe
Red21

@Bree-RO i so agree all of us with lived experience realise that our most prcious commodity in life is our time - self care does not have to be expensive.  Yet to feel the beauty and effect of spending some time out with ourselves.  

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

I completely agree @Red21 and I love this thread @Big_Crab
Self care is always important but it's vital when you're managing a crisis. I was first introduced to the idea of self care when I started in this field over 10 years ago and it's been something I believe in but do poorly, ever

I love your idea of the goodie bag @Big_Crab because I'm one of those people that often confuses large expense with self care. Like I can't do it because I can't afford a full spa day!
But ideas like that are so inexpensive and work on so many levels, especially for parents who tend to get the short straw when it comes to gifts.

Keep the ideas coming. Can't wait to steal more!!
Super frequent scribe
Big_Crab

It is currently my busy period at work, and there are a lot of deadlines looming.

I have found one way to help to destress is to ensure I go for a walk during the day, only 15 or 20 minutes. It is amazing what exposure to the sun can do for your mood and stress levels. I also make sure to leave my phone on my desk and take in the sounds and smells around me. 

Have you purchased something for your self-care goody bag this week?