Need help now?

Venting For Sanity!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Contributor
Mitzi

Venting For Sanity!

You know how we have to be all caring, understanding, patient and encouraging because we are the grown-up? 

Not in here we don't! This board is purely to get anger, frustration and disappointments off our chests. No judgements here. Just venting without fear of sanction. Keep it short and sweet and others can respond with sympathy. Sort of like this:

(Original post) @Mitzi: Why do I have to ask my son every day to pick up his clothes off the floor? I'm so sick of it!

(Reply 1) @Sophie-RO: You poor thing. There, there.

(Reply 2) @Ben-RO: They start doing it only once they want to impress a date.

OK your turn! Have a rant - go on. I'll show sympathy.

Contributor
readthemanual

Re: Venting For Sanity!

@mitzi,second!

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Super frequent scribe
ElleBelle

Good idea @Mitzi, I reckon we could all use a vent every now and then!

Frequent scribe
seaglecc

Why do they only behave when guests are here or when they are at a friend's house. Sometimes I think a spell is put over them! 

Oh such n such is such a good boy blah blah blah. Like yeah are you talking about MY child???

Frequent scribe
JenniferS

ok, i'm in . . . . (and i know that 90% is probably pretty good, but this is the glass half empty post isnt it?!)
the fact that they all (husband & kids) do things at a 90% capacity, meaning i still have to go around and complete the last 10% so realistically not much help at all (ie. i cant assume something is done so it still takes up mental space) urrrgggg!

things not quite put away, ie. they are in the vicinity of where they belong but not actually where they are meant to be (so you know down the track it is going to be "muuuuuuum, where is XXXX?" because . . . partner & child selective blindness!)

after meals the main items are put away but the chopping board is still filthy & the bench needs a wipe down

the dishes are in the sink but havent quite made it to the dishwasher

and so on

and then if i ask them to complete the task they think i am being petty & nagging, sigh!

PS and then my husband has the gall to say i dont ask for help! ha!

Frequent scribe
JenniferS

Message contains a hyperlink

sorry, this was in response to

giggling here! i remember my mother saying this about me ALL.THE.TIME.  i was rather proud of the fact that i knew well how to behave but didnt think i had to at home, cheeky, much! yep, and my kids do this too, call it karma Smiley Wink

Super frequent scribe
ElleBelle

Ha! I catch myself muttering "if I want it done right I might as well do it myself" a lot @JenniferS. Must be karma Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Prolific scribe
Luula

@seaglecc they know how to turn it on, don't they?!

@JenniferS haha I think the most depressing thing about parenting is realising that you are slowly turning into your own mother/father. Smiley Tongue

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

My vent:

When my daughter is being super mean to me and her brother and when I ask her why she'll say "I can't help it, I'm really tired / hungry / pre menstural" and then I'll hear her answer her phone all "hey you, what's going on blah blah blah" just a vision of friendliness.

Sometimes I would give a limb to be treated like her friend.

I know we don't have to do this but...

Flip side of this - she feels safe enough with me and her brother to be her authentic self. She knows we're here for the long haul and she doesn't have to win our love.