Need help now?

When life is CRAZY & you're time poor how do you look after YOU?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Contributor
LovingThruBlue

In times that the madness of life has you struggling, how do you look after yourself?

I'm thinking of the little things .. not a weekend away ... that's not going to happen other than in our dreams at these times Smiley Tongue 

I'm trying really hard to find little ways to look after myself.

A very supportive friend told me once that I 'can't keep giving out cookies from my basket without finding the time to bake them. The basket will empty'. 

For me I am loving breakfast on the weekends when I drag my kitchen stool in front of the sunniest window and really enjoy my morning coffee and toast with something to read (no time for that on weekdays). I make sure I take it all in .. the delicious coffee & the sun on my face.

Do you have any tips?

Contributor
Beingme2017

Re: When life is CRAZY & you're time poor how do you look after YOU?

great questions @LovingThruBlue and sooo important when we are juggling so many balls at once!!

I am similar to you - I make a point of having a coffee out on my front porch once a day if I can and just enjoy the sunshine, fresh air and usually I can switch off from my thoughts for a few mins. Might only be 10 mins at the most!! But its like a circuit breaker and its helpful

Other things I do is maybe go for an aimless potter around Kmart - easy to pick up something cheap but something that I can bring home and feel like I treated myself. Im not a shopper but I find that's kind of a bit of time out.

Also a coffee with a friend usually invigorates me - has to be the right kind of friend tho haha

And a cuddle with my dog Smiley Happy

Really keen to hear some other ideas

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Fantastic question @LovingThruBlue...  You really have to make the time and effort to take time-out... Easier said than done!!  I like getting out in the fresh air and take my dog for a quick walk before work.  Sometimes with my favourite music, other times I listen to the birds.  My dog is happy and it makes me feel good too. Smiley Happy

Super frequent scribe
AeroGirl

hey @LovingThruBlue what a great topic! I think you're so right - it can be the simple things that bring peace and happiness to the midst of the craziness. For my own sanity (and for my family's benefit!) I've had to practice learning to slow down and stop. Even if for just 10mins. So I also enjoy sitting down and having a cup of tea. The past few days, I've been sitting on a lounge chair in the full sun - it feels so good.

This past year I've been teaching myself to crochet little granny squares and things (youtube is so good for videos).  It's just something that I can pick up and put down easily, it doesn't need a lot of time.

Baking is another thing (if I have time on the weekend).

And strangely enough - I love making to-do lists. When I can organise what I need to do, I feel better.  It means there is less spinning around in my head. Ticking some of them off over the next few days feels good too.

Star contributor
TOM-RO

@AeroGirl, you're not alone on the to do list front! I get an oddly satisfying feeling when writing up a to do list, pen and paper as well (no smart phone - old school). Smiley Very Happy

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Oooh... I love my To Do Lists too @AeroGirl.  and I love crossing things off my list too.  I wouldn't be able to function without my To Do list.  Once l got to work and left my list at home...I had to go back and get it Smiley LOL

Frequent scribe
Snoopmum

So very true if you don't look after yourself you really can't look after others.

I love a run in the mornings usually with a few friends and my dog comes too.  Its a great way to start the day.

A coffee in the morning sun is also a must!

The other thing that I am the master of is a quick nanny nap in the middle of the day( obviously not a work day!  though I have been known to dose off in a quiet corner on the odd occasion at lunch time).  

And yes I like a list!

Super star contributor
taokat

Most of the time I'm not actually time poor - because I don't work out of the home. But my mind is very full, so I'm a list maker too @AeroGirl. That way my life can remain ordered while my head is not!  

Time on my own is a must every day for me. Which is why I'm still up at 2.15am!!

I take 2 little gratitude cards out of my bowl and relate them to an aspect of my life. That's a pretty nice feeling.

I make myself say sorry if I've said something mean to myself. 

I make a cup of tea and sit quietly.

I colour in or play my WordBrain game.

I love puzzles too, but haven't got anywhere here to do them. The cats steal pieces and chew on them. And they're so naughty, one goes high and one goes low when they're chasing each other, so everything gets swiped off benches, tables and the lounge. 

Prolific scribe
Lily17

I have 2 little roosters - they love cuddles and will sit contentedly on my lap whilst I drink my tea. Either in the sun or they will sneak in if the heater is on!!

If I am building outside my kids bring me a cuppa and leave me to drink it and usually the sawdust but it's peaceful as I listen to the real music of our youth and then finally
seeing a finished product.
Super frequent scribe
AeroGirl

@Lily17 those little roosters sound really cute!  Can I ask - what are you building outside??