Need help now?

5 year old just can’t seem to control his emotions (anger) at school

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Matraph

My 5 year just started kindergarten this year and hasn’t had the best time , at first it was difficult for him to adjust to the new settings afterwards things just started going downhill. Week after week the teachers are saying how he gets so angry at school to the point where he starts throwing things in the classroom and pushing other kids , hitting the teachers and using vulgar words. It’s hard for me to understand this behaviour since at home he has NEVER been this bad , the occasional tantrums but nothing harmful. It’s up the point where teachers can’t control him when he gets angry and I’ve thought about him seeing a occupational therapist , I find he as trouble with his fine motor skills and that may be frustrating him more In The classroom environment but I’m just lost and not sure where to go from here … help please !
Highlighted
Prolific scribe
Courtney-RO

Re: 5 year old just can’t seem to control his emotions (anger) at school

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Matraph and welcome to our online community!

I'm sorry to hear that your 5-year-old has been having some trouble adjusting to kindergarten. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you to hear all of these things from their teachers.

If you are up for some reading, The Raising Children's Network has a number of articles that may be worth a read, including one on Self-Regulation. 

I am also wondering how you take care of yourself when things get really tough? If you would like to talk to someone about this, Parentline is a great support service that might also be able to point you in the right direction of where to go next.

We are all here for you.