Need help now?

ADHD Kids Playing with Kids without ADHD.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Active scribe
Jarmstead29
Solved!

My nephew is 6 and has ADHD. We live with my in-laws and he comes over every weekend. My daughter is 3 and I notice that she has been picking up a lot of his not so good habits. My question is should I separate them?

Accepted Solutions
Super contributor
Taylor-RO
Solution

Re: ADHD Kids Playing with Kids without ADHD.

Hi @Jarmstead29, thank you so much for sharing. That sounds like a really difficult situation to be in. So we can understand your situation better, what type of behaviours are you referring to and what do you usually do when your daughter repeats them? I am also wondering if you have any support services in your area that can assist you with this? (e.g. doctors, psychologists or other health professionals). 

Just so you know, we are an Australian service so unfortunately our referrals and resources may not be relevant to you. However, you are most welcome to continue posting here on our forum Smiley Happy 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super contributor
Taylor-RO
Solution

Hi @Jarmstead29, thank you so much for sharing. That sounds like a really difficult situation to be in. So we can understand your situation better, what type of behaviours are you referring to and what do you usually do when your daughter repeats them? I am also wondering if you have any support services in your area that can assist you with this? (e.g. doctors, psychologists or other health professionals). 

Just so you know, we are an Australian service so unfortunately our referrals and resources may not be relevant to you. However, you are most welcome to continue posting here on our forum Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Casual scribe
sapphire

As a parent of two children and a husband with ADHD, that's quite upsetting for you to think you need to separate your child. Your child is going to pick up bad habits everywhere, from daycare, school etc. You can't say for sure where it comes from. You can't avoid it. ADHD isn't a disease or even a problem! It's just a brain difference. It isn't contagious. The best way to support your daughter is to say 'XX has trouble with X because his brain is different' and so I don't want you to do X. But they will both benefit from interacting.

Active scribe
Jarmstead29

As of right now my nephew is the only child she plays with because of COVID-19. She does not go to daycare. I never said it was a disease. Your husband is an adult. My nephew was just diagnose at the aga of 5. I speak to my child and tell her what to do and what's not ok to do. I came to Reach Out outside of the US to get support and answers from families that are experiencing similar situations. Not to feel like I'm being attacked because I feel like my child is picking up every thing my nephew is doing. He hits my child constantly and screams in her face over and over again and I'm not authorized to say anything to him because of his parents. I'm came here for support.
Casual scribe
sapphire

My children are autistic and have ADHD too.

Him hitting your daughter is not ok. If his parents won't do anything, he can't come over. You're daughter's safety is paramount
Active scribe
Jarmstead29

That's the thing we live with the kids grandparents, my in-laws. We're trying so hard to find a house in this market right now.

My sister in-law brings him by every weekend and sits there and does nothing and that's the frustrating part. She's not the type of person to sit down and have an adult conversation with.
Casual scribe
sapphire

You have to say something to her. Or take your daughter out to the park, away somewhere
Active scribe
Jarmstead29

I have tried every suggestion you're giving and it's very much appreciated. She waits for me to get back home.