Need help now?

I'm not a parent yet but I was wondering how I as a young adult can help prevent underage drinking?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

I'm not a parent yet but I was wondering how I as a young adult can help prevent underage drinking?

Scribe
LuckyJay24

I'm going to have a child in a few months but drinking has been a big problem in my family. I'm joining a Young Adult Leadership program and was wondering how I can help with preventing and curbing the growth of underage drinking. Does anyone have any ideas? I wanna set a good example for my future child before shes born.

Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: I'm not a parent yet but I was wondering how I as a young adult can help prevent underage drinki

Message contains a hyperlink
Hi @LuckyJay24, thank you for the question. This is a common concern that a lot of parents have, so you are not alone in wanting to set a good example. It is great to hear that it is something that you are really conscious of - I am sure that this in itself will make a meaningful difference.

We have quite a few articles that discuss alcohol use. As I said before, it is definitely a hot topic! In particular, this article talks about how you can set a good example. The first category of articles has information about alcohol use in teenagers and the second category talks about things you can do if your teenager is drinking. Something to highlight from the articles is a paragraph which says 'The only way to eliminate the risks associated with alcohol use during the teenage years is to encourage your child not to drink. It can be useful to talk to them about the pros and cons of drinking, and talk about ways of having just as good a time but without alcohol. But, knowing that your teen will probably be exposed to alcohol, it’s probably more realistic that you set clear boundaries about how they consume it.'  

If you find yourself still feeling unsure about how to go about it, you can always explore this with a psychologist who can help you develop some relevant tools and strategies for your particular situation and worries.

I hope that helps! Heart