Need help now?

R U OK? 2019

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

R U OK? 2019

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

Today is the day we ask RUOK? (I swear that wasn’t meant to rhyme). It’s a really important question because as I’m sure many of us can agree on, it can be really intimidating telling someone that you are not okay. This day is all about encouraging connection, breaking down stigma and giving/receiving support. 

This is something we do really well on the forums - I’ve honestly never come across such a strong supportive online community before. This can be a little trickier in real life though, so I wanted to get a discussion going about that. 

If you are interested you can read in depth on the RUOK? Website here but here’s an easy step by step on how to approach difficult conversations about mental health. 

R U OK.PNG

Activity: 

R U OK today?

How would you approach a conversation with someone you’re concerned about? 

Do you have an example of a time where someone asked if you were okay? How did it help to have someone check in with you? 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Re: R U OK? 2019

@Help_needed @H0210 @Rose_1  @Maruko @Ilonija @mohammad @sylvia @D123d @taokat @Faob_1 @JAKGR8 @PapaBill 

Just tagging a few parents who have been active this week to check in. R U OK today? 

Parent/Carer Community Champion
PapaBill

Hi There

yep alive and well..

just back from a week on an Island with my Partner... 

Wild life, open fire, chocolates and wine (non chocoholic for her)

Big trip for her as she is very much the home body and I have wandering feet

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hi @PapaBill thank you for checking in with us this R U OK day. It sounds like you have been taking care of your wellbeing this week, and have had a great time with your partner. Really lovely that you were able to combine your comfort areas, between being a homebody and adventurer, and share that time together. 

Is there anyone you are going to check in with today and ask R U OK? 

Parent/Carer Community Champion
PapaBill

A friend of my partner and mine lost her brother last week.

We went to the funeral on Tuesday and I have checked in with her today.. 

Just sent her a SMS with some jokes and let he know we are thinking of her and care!

p.s.  Life is treating me very well.. my children and almost step child are all growing and developing into great young adults.   My partner and I love each other very much.. I have a good job...

While I am not 25 anymore and things ache from time to time I am in pretty good health.

I have a lot to be thankful for

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hi @PapaBill my condolences to your partner's friend- a difficult time for them and very good choice of person to check in with today. Letting someone know you are thinking of them is a great way to open that line of communication for them to come to you in future too.

Really beautiful reflection on some of the great things in your life you are grateful for Smiley Happy It's really important to step back from the business of life and look at all the things we are grateful for- it sounds like your health and relationships are things you value very highly. After loss, it can also help us refocus on what we do have and why the things we have are so valuable