Need help now?

Transgender Awareness Week

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Prolific scribe
Iona_RO

Transgender Awareness Week

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

coming out at school image.jpg

It's Transgender Awareness Week from 13th - 19th November, which is an opportunity for us all to advocate for and celebrate with the trans community, especially our trans teens! 

What does it mean to be transgender?

Transgender is a term to describe people whose gender is different from the one they were assigned or presumed at birth. There are lots of different ways to identify as trans - transgender, Sistergirl, Brotherboy, non-binary, genderfluid, genderqueer, gender diverse, and more. Trans people sometimes decide to undergo gender affirming surgery, and some don't. This doesn't make their gender identity any more or less valid. You can learn more about what being trans means here.

How can I support my transgender teen?

Supporting your teen throughout their gender journey is so important. You can watch this video that gives some great tips on how to do this. We also have this article on how to help your teenager with coming out that may be a helpful read too. Transhub also has some great resources for parents and carers of young trans people that covers a range of topics.

How can I support myself?

Being the parent or carer of a transgender teen can be a lot to process. You may find yourself feeling grief, confusion and anxiety along the way. It's important to look after yourself at this time too. Check in with your family and friends, chat with your therapist and reach out here or contact QLife for support.