Need help now?

31st May - ReachOut Parents Coaching! All your questions answered.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

31st May - ReachOut Parents Coaching! All your questions answered.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: 31st May - ReachOut Parents Coaching! All your questions answered.

That explains it really well @TBS-Coach1 and makes a lot of sense.

One of the other common questions we hear is  "I see a counsellor, is this going to be the same stuff?"

So keeping with the same analogy, would that be like, a counsellor or psychologist is the doctor that's treating your injured knee while you guys are working on 'getting fit'?   Am I following it?

Super star contributor
taokat

I find that explanation very empowering @TBS-Coach1!. I think as parents who are having struggles, I for one felt like I was failing because what I had always been doing wasn't working anymore.  

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains an image

@taokat Don't let me take up all the space, jump in anytime. Any chance you'd like to share with us HOW it changed things for you and your daughter?

excited popcorn interested steph curry this is gonna be good GIF

Frequent scribe
GrhRo

Hi @Ngaio-RO, no I haven't done the coaching course, but I seem to remember one coming up soon. If there is I will do it.

Good old meat and 3 veg tonight Smiley Happy

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Was coaching different to stuff you'd tried before @taokat ?

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Nothing wrong with meat and 3 @GrhRo  The coaching isn't a course that runs at a particular time it's individual sessions with over the phone coaching and some online stuff. 

Check it out here. It's an amazing service that was only available face to face but thanks to TBS partnering with Reach Out, it's now online.

Special Guest
TBS-Coach1

You got it!

Sorry to bring in another analogy, but it’s good to think of support for your teen as a jigsaw puzzle with each piece connecting but not overlapping.

Depending on what’s happening for your teen you may want to access different types of support, for different things, at different times or at the same time.

Coaching is one piece of the puzzle – for example, you and your teen may also work alongside a GP, psychologist, school, mentor, etc.

Our piece focuses on how you as a parent can support your teen.  

Highlighted
Active scribe
Beekeeper

That is a great analogy ... but somewhat like counselling I imagine the coaches would need to get highly familiar with both the parent and child to understand the issues and potential solution.  How would this happen in practice? 

Super star contributor
taokat

No problem @Ngaio-RO, as long as we get through others questions too! I don't wan't top be a hog. 

TBS reminded me that I was the best person for my daughter to be with, as I felt I really wasn't. I was supported all along until I finally believed that myself.

TBS gave me understanding around what my daughter was going through - reminding me her thinking is not the same as mine. TBS taught me that my daughter's outbursts were actually her showing her emotional pain in the only was she knew how. My daughter was given language around her emotions, a glitter jar to shake when she was getting worked up, to let me know. We learnt to have fun together again. I really could go on!  

Special Guest
TBS-Coach1

Being a teenager can be tough for teens and parents! Many teens are trying to juggle all of the changes, commitments and expectations! Coaching can be great way to find a new way forward.