Need help now?

Next Wednesday Wrap is HERE! Join us on the 20th September!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Next Wednesday Wrap is HERE! Join us on the 20th September!

Special Guest
Nicole-SANEaus

Re: Next Wednesday Wrap is HERE! Join us on the 20th September!

The 'help or hinder' debate is an ongoing one! It's different for everyone.

Some find getting a diagnosis such a relief - it's like 'okay, now I know what it is, lets tackle it', it can help remove the illness from their own identity. While others feel pigeonholed and don't find it helpful.

It's really up to the individual on what they want to do with that diagnosis.

Either way, ensuring that the diagnosis doesn't define you is so important. This can take a bit of work when the illness itself can take up so much time and energy.

Finding the therapy that works for a child is the key above everything - and sometimes having a diagnosis can lead you down the path to finding what works best.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Haha That's funny @taokat. The thing I love about teenagers is that they will say "you have to say that, you're my mum." but at the same time be completely stoked you said it.

Can I get one more in before we finish @Nicole-SANEaus I wanted to ask about teenagers with MH illnesses getting older and moving into adulthood? Should parents be offering longer-term support to their teenagers / young adults? As in asking them to continue living at home longer so they can benefit from the family's support?

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That makes perfect sense @Nicole-SANEaus That it's neither good nor bad, it's what people do with that information / diagnosis.

I think what happens is that parents feel like they have been stumbling in the dark for so long that a diagnosis starts to look like the light at the end of the tunnel but it may be very different for the young person.

What I'm understanding is that the most important thing is to give your teenager the space to feel in control of their own mental health experience and to be there as an ongoing support in whatever way works for them

Super star contributor
taokat

@Ngaio-RO I love what you say about teens being completely stoked we said it - another thing I hadn't considered!! I've only heard the "of course you're going to say that", and only thought "why won't you listen to me!"

Special Guest
Nicole-SANEaus

@Ngaio-RO what parent wants their child to ever move out - don't we want them to stay with us forever Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

So many factors come into this one. As parents, we need to create boundaries too, and having a young adult child stay at home can compromise the health of parent and/or child. Don't be afraid to consider yourself in what long term support you can offer.

So whether it be offering them a roof over their head longer or committing to a weekly dinner together or going to their appointments - them just knowing you are there for them and keeping that commitment, in whatever shape or form it looks like, is great.
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Awesome @Nicole-SANEaus I think that's probably put a lot of parent's minds at ease. Knowing that there are all sorts of ways to continue supporting your now adult child, without feeling like you have to forgo your own needs! That's wonderful.

Thank you so much for your input tonight @Nicole-SANEaus it's been awesome getting your expertise on this stuff.

And thank you @taokat I always love your stories about you and your daughter. What a great mum you are to her. Smiley Happy

Special Guest
Nicole-SANEaus

Message contains a video

Thank you so much for having me tonight!

My main purpose for doing sessions like this is to reduce the stigma, fear and myths of mental illness, so I wanted to leave you with two stories of young people with a lived experience of mental illness who are living fulfilling lives. Smiley Happy

THANK YOU!! *WAVES*

Super star contributor
taokat

Great advice @Nicole-SANEaus. I'm thinking that my daughter will require ongoing support, but she may very well surprise me! Don't ask me on a bad day, but I don't want her to move out any time soon Smiley Happy

Super star contributor
taokat

Yes, thank you so much @Nicole-SANEaus, it's been fantastic having you here and hearing your wisdom!

Aw thanks @Ngaio-RO. She's a character my girl!! Smiley Very Happy Thank you for hosting tonight, it's been great, and I think there's some awesome info for all parents to read.