Need help now?

Exhausted with child’s tantrums

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Scribe
Summ43

Exhausted with child’s tantrums

My daughter is 11 this year and has autism. While it’s mild she tends to have outbursts and melt downs that can last over an hour.
I’ve been with my partner for 9 months now and we are exhausted. I can’t get close to him or even hold his hand yet alone touch him without resulting in a complete screaming meltdown. Tonight I was ‘sitting to close’ to him when we weren’t even close and resulted in her screaming. She sees him at least 3-4 times a week but we have plenty of mum and daughter time. I’m at my wits end I can’t snap her out of these tantrums. She won’t go to her room she just sits there screaming at me. Mentally and emotionally I’m exhausted. Help!! Please.
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: Exhausted with child’s tantrums

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Summ43

Thanks for sharing. We're sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time managing outbursts and meltdowns. It makes sense that you're feeling exhausted as you're not able to spend time with your partner or soothe your daughter in these moments. These things are both very important to you and it must be challenging to try to juggle the two. We can imagine that these moments are really intense, overwhelming and distressing. Do you have any support from a professional at the moment?

We are not sure if you have heard of these services but they may be able to offer resources or support depending on your eligibility. The websites are Amaze and Aspect Autism. Please feel welcome to keep us updated Heart