Need help now?

Son with recent OCD diagnosis is having very angry almost violent outbursts I’m getting frightened.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Son with recent OCD diagnosis is having very angry almost violent outbursts I’m getting frightened.

Scribe
Parenting75

Sim has had recent OCD with intrusive thoughts. He is getting angrier and angrier every day. Feel as though I’m on egg shells. Anyone have similar things happening with a teenager. How do I deal with this
Prolific scribe
Chloe-RO

Re: Son with recent OCD diagnosis is having very angry almost violent outbursts I’m getting frighten

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi there @Parenting75 ,

Thank you for reaching out to the community here. 

After reading you post, we're wondering if your son's doctor is aware of what is happening as the intrusive thoughts may be affecting his behaviour? He may need a little more help at this moment.

We're also wondering if you would be interesting in reading https://parents.au.reachout.com/common-concerns/mental-health/getting-help-for-teenagers

Teenage-hood can be challenging for any teenager and their parents. Yet there IS help out there. As much as we want to say that teenagers do go through an emotional rollercoaster, it is also not okay that you feel frightened by it. 

If in danger, you may need the assistance of police who may be able to have a chat to your son. Would this be an option?

Please take care

Mod
Hannah_RO

Re: Son with recent OCD diagnosis is having very angry almost violent outbursts I’m getting frighten

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Parenting75 , it sounds like dealing with your son's anger outbursts has been an incredibly difficult time for you lately. I am sorry to hear that his behaviour is becoming frightening. I am wondering whether you might be able to share more about how your son expresses his anger? Do you have a safety plan in place for when he has an anger outburst? 

I found some articles on anger and teenagers here that I thought might be helpful to you. There is one on understanding anger here and another of tips for helping your teen manage their anger here

Sometimes anger can look like physical violence in the home, and it can be important to know where to get support before things get out of hand (or when they have gotten out of hand). 1800respect might be helpful, as they are a service that provides telephone or online counselling support to families experiencing family violence and abuse. 

I hope these resources are of some help to you Smiley Happy take care.