Need help now?

5 year old still waking up during the night.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
donydad

Hello,

I have a 5 year old daughter, myself and her mother had ended our relationship about 3 years ago and for about 2 years I had been in a relationship with somebody else, my daughter gets on very well with who I am currently with. My daughter is very well behaved but when it comes to night time she will go to bed every night at the same time with no issues at all
We have a ruiteen of no television before bed, brush teeth and go to toilet ect... i sit in her room and either reed a book or have a little chat before bed. I leave the room before she is asleep and she goes off to bed perfectly by herself. When it reaches 1am onwards she can wake up between 4-6ish times throughout the night saying she needs the toilet. I used to take her to the toilet and tuck her back into bed but i have been trying to leave a stool outside the bathroom so she can turn the light on herself and take herself to toilet. She will knock then on my door to then take her back to bed. I am just looking for advise as to either getting her to stop getting up so many times during the night to go to toilet (although she just sits on the toilet and pretends she is going) but doing it herself and taking herself back to bed, or just completely stop getting up in the night at all.

Just want to know is there anything else I can try or am I doing the wrong thing at any stage?

Many thanks Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: 5 year old still waking up during the night.

Hi @donydad, thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like this behaviour has left you feeling quite puzzled. ReachOut forums are aimed at parents of children aged 12 - 18, so our level of support and referrals may not be appropriate in your situation. Hopefully some parents with a similar experience comment with some support soon. It might be worthwhile having to chat to your GP to rule out any issues and discuss next steps Smiley Happy