Need help now?

Foster care and single parent payments

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Jennfromoz

Hi there, I can't find any information on the internet about this. It's about payments that a single foster parent will be entitled to.
I know she gets foster care payments, and can get family tax A and B.
What I would like to know is, will she get parenting payment or jobseeker, or is this dependant on the foster child's age?
Someone once told me that she will get parenting payment if she's a foster parent regardless of the child's age, but I can't find any information supporting this.
If someone could please answer this question, I would really appreciate it.
Highlighted
Contributor
Hannah-RO

Re: Foster care and single parent payments

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey there @Jennfromoz 

I can't say for sure what payment she will get as I'm not sure of all the circumstantial details though I did find a fact sheet (which I've linked here) which says "The Parenting Payment is paid to the primary carer of a child under eight. Conditions apply, including income and asset limits." 

I'll also link The Payment Finder  on the Centrelink website which could be helpful to go through.

Sometimes it can also be helpful to call - though I do understand that this often means a lot of time spent on hold! But if you wanted to call them for further information the number for Parenting Payment inquiries is 136 150 that phone line is open Mon – Fri: 8 am – 8 pm

I hope this is helpful, feel free to let us know how you go Smiley Happy