Need help now?

You know you're a single parent when...

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super frequent scribe
tenacious_dad

If you have found yourself on ReachOut parents forum you would no doubt agree that being a parent of teens can be challenging! And no more so than if you're a single parent. It has its own challenges and thankfully, its own rewards as well.

I am starting this discussion thread in the hope that we can all share our stories on being a single parent... or a co-parent... or a blended family parent... or any parent that can relate to parents outside the norm. Jeez... that would probably account for most of us!!! Maybe I should re-name it "You know you're not a normal parent when...."!!!

Anyway... as a co-parent and then single dad to 15 and 16 year old boys, and 9 year old girl I am really interested to hear from others in similar arrangements and share their unique perspective.  What challeneges have you faced? What is the best part? What is the worst part? What are some of the funny moments?  Don't forget we are in the "Chill Out" section of the forums so let's try and make it fun, enlightening and entertaining!! 

I'll go first! 

• You know you're a single dad when you start seeing your sons as fellow bachelors.
  • You know you're a single dad when you know what a scrunchy is (and how to use it!)
  • You know you're a single parent when you can spot the single dads at McDonalds on Saturday morning.
  • You know you're a single parent/working parent if you know what OOSH means.
  • You know you're a single parent when you're sick of hearing "that must be hard", "how do you do it?" or "you're such a good dad/mum" (apparently doing it alone somehow makes you instantly a "better" parent to some people!!!)

I could go on!!! Smiley Tongue

The best part about being a single dad: you take all the credit! Smiley Very Happy

The worst part about being a single dad: you take all the blame! Smiley Sad

Contributor
Mitzi

Re: Single Parents?

You know you're single parent when you have to pretend not to be scared of cockroaches and bravely dispose of them so your son doesn't grow up screaming at the sight of them.

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Re: Single Parents?

Hehe keep 'em coming!
Founding member
MelbMumofTwo

Re: You know you're a single parent when...

You know you are a single parent when you have to competently discuss, chainsaw techniques, how to get stains out of shirts, where to buy indicator bulbs for a 2000 Ford Festiva and how to mend a broken heart all before lunch on a Saturday.

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Wow, @MelbMumofTwo - the diversity!! Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Contributor
readthemanual

I like your last point! Yes, I take credit for my lovely daughter and I actually think being a single parent is easier as there is no one to dispute against my parenting ideaology or techniques and me and my daughter are very close to each other.

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Frequent scribe
MeJane

Message contains an image

single parent.JPG

Active scribe
YellowMango

You get a Mothers Day & Fathers Day card every year!