Need help now?

16 year old son just starting to show signs of going off the rails

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

16 year old son just starting to show signs of going off the rails

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: 16 year old son just starting to show signs of going off the rails

That's so great to hear @Faob_1!  I'm so happy for you all! It does sound like your friend got through to your son, and having a mentor will be such a benefit to him.  Remember that you guys have been working hard and setting boundaries, so I believe you've done the groundwork for your son to be able to listen and realise he's not above consequences. Please give yourselves credit too. And your son!

And he's going to the camp! Woohoo! What a positive change. You guys have worked so hard in remaining patient and firm, and it's not easy when they're pushing the buttons they know to push. And I really hope you guys acknowledge what a great job you're doing.

As you say, it's not all sorted yet, (is it ever with teens?!) but these are fantastic steps. You'll all take steps forward and steps back. The aim's to end up ahead though Smiley Happy

Please do keep us updated, and we love our parents to stay on, sharing and supporting other mums and dads. Keep smiling!

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Re: 16 year old son just starting to show signs of going off the rails

Hi @Mumof3boys great news about your sons behaviour improving, and him following your curfew rules.

I hope that it keeps up for you both, but understand it is very much take one day at a time. Please let us know how he goes at the new school?

Hi @Faob_1 So happy you were able to go to work with a smile on your face after a very difficult 6 months, and your son has agreed to go to SA for the expedition which should be a positive experience for him. You have done an amazing job caring for your son and by teaching him there are consequences to his actions. I agree with @taokat well done for sharing your experiences with other parents on the forum Smiley Happy