Need help now?

18 year old girl tantrums, no respect

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

18 year old girl tantrums, no respect

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Re: 18 year old girl tantrums, no respect

Hi @mrskode,

Just wanting to check in and see how are you going this week? 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Frequent scribe
mrskode

Thanks for asking. Things are still the same. Waiting to see if one of her friends can get her out ofthe the house and involved in some positive activities. I am also looking into some alternative accommodation options for her.
Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Thanks for checking in @mrskode. I am sorry to hear things are still pretty challenging, but it sounds like you are looking into some new options. How have you found the process of finding alternative accommodation for your daughter? I know this is something a few of our parents have told us they have been looking into and would be interested to know how you go 

Frequent scribe
mrskode

I have been looking in the option of boarding/lodging. However I have hit a brick wall with centrelink. my daughter is getting part youth allowance whilst working part time. centrelink class her as dependent on parents, until she is over 21. apparently she is not eligible fot living away from home allowance or rent assistance. i can't afford to pay for alternative acvommodation for her. I don't have family that she could live with either.
Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @mrskode,

That must have been really hard to get that news from centrelink. You mentioned that your daughter is working part time, is your daughter studying as well? Would it be possible for her to pick up more work?

It sounds like there are very limited housing options for her at the moment- I can imagine this is also contributing to stress. I can see on the centrelink website that they can make a young person independent in extenuating circumstances, did they walk you through whether your daughter can be made independent early or fits any of their criteria? 

I am sorry to hear how hard this process has been, I have just replied to your other post here with some options for our ReachOut one on one service for Australia parents.