Need help now?

18yo son talking suicide to friends then denies to parents

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
SMS77

My 18yo son has been talking about suicide to friends on social media but when my husband and I try to talk about it with him he denies it and says he is fine.
How can I get him the help that he needs if he doesn’t want it?
Super frequent scribe
Claire-RO

Re: 18yo son talking suicide to friends then denies to parents

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @SMS77 

That sounds really tough, and I can hear how worried you are about this. It can be really hard when children don't open up about what is happening for them especially when it comes to suicide. Whilst it is upsetting they are not speaking with you about this, it is a positive step that he feels he can speak to his friends about it. The fact that you know that he is speaking to his friends and you are checking in with him are all great ways to support him. 

We have some really helpful resources here for parents when talking to their teens about suicide.

I really encourage you to have a look, also keep speaking with your son and let him know that you are there to listen to him when he is ready, which I am sure you are already doing Heart 

Let him know the kids helpline and lifeline are services that can talk through suicidal thoughts and he can have those conversations in private.

You are not alone Heart