Need help now?

Backward steps

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Prolific scribe
lizard0812

Backward steps

Hi guys you have been such great help and support the last couple of months and here I am in need again. I feel I haven't been able to help others at this point but hopefully as I get through this I will be able to be a support for others. For a quick update we were having major issues with DS 12 severe anxiety depression which was affecting home and school life so much we were all at breaking point. After a long time we had no option but to try medication which for the past six weeks or so made a huge difference. Unfortunately this last week my gorgeous boy is disappearing again and this frightens the hell out of me that us or him would ever have to go back to the horrible place we were at before. Can these meds just stop doing their jobs like this. Funny thing is it's been my biggest fear that they stop working and then what do we do. Have others experienced this before. We have GP app tomorrow but just wanted to hear from others that this has happened to them and there is hope cause I am so very sad at this point that we are heading back down that dark path Smiley Sad(

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Re: Backward steps

Hi @lizard0812, sorry to hear that things are not good at the moment, especially after the positive change your son experienced since going on medication. I am glad that you have an appointment with the GP tomorrow so you can discuss your concerns.  It is a good idea to have medications reviewed and monitored to ensure that they are still working - your GP should be the best source of advice in regards to this. We were told that symptoms can sometimes get worse when medication is first started - depending on what medication and dose your son is taking, and that it can take an average 6 weeks before antidepressants are fully effective.

My daughter has been on antidepressants for many years. She is regularly monitored by her GP, and had her medication increased a few months ago due to some increased stress in her life and the current dose was not effective anymore. While it may seem like your heading down that dark path again,  you have already received medical support so try not to feel like you need to start all over again.  It is not uncommon for medical treatment (of any kind) to need some adjustment from time-to-time. You have acted really quickly to the issues your son is facing, so stay strong and positive that your GP can provide some answers that will help.  Let us know how you go?

Star contributor
Breez-RO

@lizard0812 Totally understandable to have a fear like this dragging behind you, especially with the memories of your past experience. I cannot remember if I have asked this before but do you guys do anything regularly together as a family to treat yourselves? Even just once a fortnight going for fish and chips together or a movie? 

I am really keen to hear what the GP says tomorrow, and want you to know we are all here to listen and support you where we can.

Prolific scribe
lizard0812

We do try to do something nice together but sometimes life just gets so busy with work and kids but will definitely continue to make the effort. Thanks so much for the support I'll let you know how we go with GP
Prolific scribe
lizard0812

Yeah I know the GP is best for advise on medications etc sometimes they are so clinical and it's just nice to hear from others that have been through it. I'm feeling slightly more positive this morning. I know I'm not alone and I know others have way bigger issues and I know we will get through this it's just tough going at times just when we think things are settling then wham. I'll let you know how GP goes and thanks again for the support.
Contributor
LovingThruBlue

HI @lizard0812. I wish I could help but unfortunately I am going through the same thing right now. my daughter is 16 and after a couple of good months everything has fallen apart & she has gone back to as bad as she was a year ago. Her case worker is currently trying to get her into the psychiatrist on Thursday & that is one thing I'll be asking about so if we get in I'll come back & let you know

Prolific scribe
Lily17

I just wanted to quickly say that your issues are the biggest and you cannot compare to others what they are going through. It's something I have learnt along the way and the mess in my family and our psychological distress are not something others are experiencing to your levels of distress. We may have similarities but you can't walk in someone else's shoes - even if they fit!

As for the meds you can compare on a pain scale 1 -10 if Panadol no longer works you step up to another med that helps with the pain. Things work and then they stop - I hope that helps in a non clinical explanation. And breathe, you can do this if you don't get the results you want move on. My girl SN is 14 - to date we have seen 26 paeds alone. I want the best for her and for us and our mental health.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Hey @lizard0812 I absolutely agree with the others that there's no need to apologise or even think about anyone else until you're feeling good about where you are.

it's great that you guys are seeing a GP and I'm also keen to hear what he/she says. But, without wanting to make things harder, can I recommend a paediatric psychiatrist? During my years in this field, when I've worked with kids under 18 or even 16 who needed meds we used paediatric psychs. They just know their stuff better than anyone.

You may have already done this, so I'm really sorry if I'm forgetting, I just thought I'd mention it.

Super star contributor
taokat

Hey @lizard0812, I'm so sorry things have taken a downhill tirn for you guys. Could very well be that he just needs a medication tweak. My daughter's always seen a paediatric psychiatrist too for medications. I agree with @Ngaio-RO that they really know their stuff! The GP should be able to give you a referral.

I did also want to say, as @Ngaio-RO has that you certainly don't need to apologise for feeling like you haven't helped or been of suport to anyone. The forum is absolutely obligation free, and you need to look after yourself first - that is priority! You can come here in need of help or support as many times as you need. I might tag you in some things but only because we're thinking of you. Please don't ever feel pressured! Just by sharing you are helping others greatly. Realising we're not alone is a huge thing in itself, and there will be many parents who don't comment but who still gain from what they read.

I can feel your concern and sadness, and I know that feeling well, as will many others. Your son's lucky to have such a loving mum. Like the other parents, I'm keen to hear how you go with the GP. Hang in there. You've done and are doing, an amazing job.   

Prolific scribe
lizard0812

GP visit went ok increased medication and see a new child psychologist next week. Unfortunately I got a call from school principal last night to say things have really got out of hand with him. He is being very disruptive and aggressive and disrespectful (makes you feel horrible as a parent). After speaking to him about this we had a major eruption which was very disturbing for all of us. I'm at my wits end I have had very little sleep and I know In another hour I'll be dealing with it all over again. He said a few things last night that make me very concerned with his mental state at this time. Will see what this morning brings I'm actually dreading it to be honest. I need to stay strong and that's very difficult at this point.