Need help now?

My son is 20 years of age, an only child, quite shy and says he has trouble maing friends

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My son is 20 years of age, an only child, quite shy and says he has trouble maing friends

Active scribe
Artgirl

My son has social anxiety and finds it difficult to make and keep friends. He says he never knows when and how to ask to see someone again as he feels he is being ‘pushy’ with people. He also has some depression which I think makes him see things mostly from the negative point of view.
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: My son is 20 years of age, an only child, quite shy and says he has trouble maing friends

Hey @Artgirl, thanks for sharing your story with us here. Just so we have some more information about your experience.. Has your son seen any health professionals about friendships and depression? Also, does your son work or study? Please keep in mind that ReachOut is designed for parents of children aged 12-18 and so the services and advice offered may not be appropriate to your situation.
Active scribe
Artgirl

Re: My son is 20 years of age, an only child, quite shy and says he has trouble maing friends

Yes he is studying and now on university holidays. He has been looking for a holiday job for the last month but hasn’t found anything yet. We are in a regional area where jobs are limited.
Not sure how to help him connect with other young people. He says all his close friends from school have moved away ?!
Active scribe
Artgirl

He has been looking for a holiday job while on uni holidays but not able to obtain anything . We are in a regional area so few jobs.
He says close friends have moved away so not sure how to help him connect with new people ?!
Prolific scribe
Lan-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Artgirl thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like it's been difficult for him to find a holiday job particularly living in a regional area with not as many opportunities. As @Taylor-RO mentioned earlier, has he seen or spoken to a health professional or counsellor regarding depression and social anxiety? Some other options could be contacting Kids Helpline or eHeadspace, both provide free counselling support via phone or webchat. They can also provide support for parents too or link to relevant services. Are there any community events or activities he could get involved in to meet new people? If he has anxiety around others, is there someone that he knows that could go with him? 

Active scribe
Artgirl

Yes he has seen counsellors & is seeing them once a month, more often would be great but hard to do with waiting lists.
Yes I am encouraging him to make contact with Headspace & go along to some of their events in January and February before going back to uni. Thanks for all your suggestions 🙏
Active scribe
Fred-RO

@Artgirl Let us know how everything goes with the supports your son is linking in with! 

And also on how you are going with everything? Do you feel well supported?