Need help now?

Reaching out for help

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Workinghardmum

Reaching out for help

On tuesday night my 17 year old reached out for help. Coming for a young person who internalises everything this is a major step and im so proud of her. She has been admtted to hospital for mental health reasons and is getting the help she needs 

How do i get past my own feeling of guilt. I know i have done my best but i keep thing what if. She is doing so well that she is allowed day release for 4 hours. i am so strong on the inside when around her and i break down when i take her back to hospital and leave her there. we haev spoken on the phoe this morning and she sounds so sad. she has had a tough life. i know she can do this but how do i help me

Contributor
Mitzi

Re: Reaching out for help

Message contains a hyperlink

@Workinghardmum go and get a bag of Lindt chocolate right now! You are THE BEST. I'm not a doctor but I diagnose that's not guilt you're feeling -- no place for guilt here -- that feeling is RELIEF!! You made it girlfriend and you got your beloved daughter into a mental health program. You are AWESOME. Look at all the positives in your post - let's concentrate on those for a minute:

• my 17 year old reached out for help
  • this is a major step and im so proud of her
  • She has been admtted ... and is getting the help she needs
  • She is doing so well
  • she is allowed day release for 4 hours
  • i am so strong on the inside
  • i know she can do this

See? Now to begin with, can you take a hot bath and get some sleep? Do you have other children and if so could they have a sleepover at a friend/relative to give you some me-time?  Here is a great thread on how other parents take care of themselves.

Frequent scribe
BazanFan

@Workinghardmum sounds likes you're doing all the right things at the moment and as @Mitzi said you deserve a pat on the back!

This process can be hard on everyone and there is no easy solution to feeling better but have a look at the thread mitzi suggested and hold your head high, you're helping your child and supporting them. You too will get through this

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Hey @Workinghardmum - how have things been?