Need help now?

Teens helping teens - mental health first aid

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
menova

My daughter mentioned that some of her friends are suicidal. Does anyone know of a mental health first aid course teens can do to help them direct friends to help in these situations?
Star contributor
TOM-RO

Re: Teens helping teens - mental health first aid

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @menova ,

That's a great question! I'm not sure of any specific courses but if she is at school it might be worth having a chat with her school about this? Your daughter can also get support through Kids Helpline or the Suicide Call Back Service in assisting her friends to get help and looking after herself while doing it. And ReachOut has some great articles she can access through the 'Helping Someone Else' page. 

- Hayley R/O

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Re: Teens helping teens - mental health first aid

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @menova,

How did you go with finding Mental Health First Aid Training? Were there any courses available in your local area?

I did have a quick look, as I am sure that I had seen Mental health First Aid for young people. Mental Health Australia offer courses that are tailored for teens here. If this is something that you feel the school should also look into, there may be an opportunity to have this course brought into a larger cohort of young people.

ReachOut also has some youth friendly resources on supporting a friend who is thinking about suicide which may be a good starting point too.

It gives me a lot of hope to know that young people are wanting to learn how to support each other. Good on you for coming online and asking about resources for your daughter- these are such important conversations to have Heart

Check out our community activities calendar here