Need help now?

Concerned coach of football team is purposely ignoring my son

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
oneofthosedays

So my family have recently experienced some hard ship in terms of my husband passing away. My son has been playing football only for a short time - last year was his first year. I have noticed the coach choosing to limit the time my son has to complete some of the drills. eg. The coach changes what the boys are doing just when it is my son's turn. I thought I was just being paranoid but my son has become aware of it as welll.  I don't know if I should say something or just let it be? Maybe I am just being too emotional - the team has always been really supportive and they provided great support at the time my husband passed away.  There just seems to have been a shift - I don't want to draw attention to my son or cause problems, however he is still quite emotional about the change in his life and I don't want anything additional to impact on him.

Star contributor
Breez-RO

Re: Concerned coach of football team is purposely ignoring my son

Hey there @oneofthosedays,

I am so sorry to hear that your husband has passed away, thank you so much for sharing your story and raising this topic around the coach and your son. Just wanting to clarify are they taking play time off him to go easy on him do you think? Or is it because he's fallen behind? Just trying to understand the context a little bit more. This sounds very frustrating, I hear your affliction over the fact that they were super supportive during your Husband's passing.

I definitely don't see the harm in asking the coach the question, would certainly be piece of mind for yourself and it doesn't sound disrespectful at all; just moreso that you are curious as to his strategy here. 

How is your own self-care at the moment?

Star contributor
Breez-RO

Re: Concerned coach of football team is purposely ignoring my son

Is there a way you can ask the Coach discreetly, perhaps let him know you don't want it to impact your son? I would imagine he has a duty of care around confidentiality @oneofthosedays