Need help now?

I am so worried about my 14 years old...

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
rainbow5

Hi all, I have a nearly 15 yo daughter who is suffering from anxiety and depression. She is very shy and closed, she doesn't like going out. The only thing she enjoys is video games and being online. I took her to a phycologist but I didn't like his approach and I am going to take her to a new one. About 3 months ago she said she is bisexual and we were talking to phycologist about it. However about a month ago she also told me she wants to be a boy! I have been crying as I don't know how to help her. I told her to keep it quiet and one day when she is older if still the case she can purse what she wants. I just hope she is confused and later on she will drop the whole thing. It's just weird that first she said she's bisexual and then she also is also a transgender.... I also asked her "what would happen if you dressed up as a boy at school?" And she said that she would be bullied, as she sees this happening at her school. I am also worried because she is scared of new situations/people. She doesn't like dealing with people and even though she gets good results, she finds school a struggle.....I really don't know what to do. I tried to take her with me to gym but she cried and said doesn't like it (as she can see other people) I asked her to invite some of school mates around or organise cinema but she said no. She hates outdoor life and sport. Besides the phycologist how can help her?
She is also dependent on the internet and sometimes we argue when we block her internet. She then starts shouting and lecturing us. I am worried that some of the sexual confusion comes from her going online. She has never shown any sign of being gay. She still buys pink /girly stuff and wear earrings. parents of transgender did your children show any signs? Did they come out to you via SMS like my daughter did after an argument connected to the excessive use of internet?
Casual scribe
rainbow5

Re: I am so worried about my 14 years old...

Nancy0115 thanks I will have a look
Super star contributor
taokat

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @rainbow5, thank you for sharing with. I do apologise we haven't responded earlier. 

Seeing your daughter enjoys being online, I'm wondering if she'd be interested in looking at ReachOut's Youth forum? The link is here. It's a fantastic service where your daughter can become part of an online community that is carefully moderated keeping it a safe space for everyone. She can also read loads of info that may be of help to her with all she is going through.

I can hear your angst and upset in your post, and really feel for you. My daughter told me last week that she thinks she's bisexual, and I feel for her (not everyone!) it's part of her teenage exploration at this stage. She's discovering who she is and trying to make sense of all these strange full-on feelings.

I'll see if I can find a thread I can link you up with to give you some support. 

I can understand your concern about your daughter's preference for isolation and being online. It's natural to worry when they're not doing the same things as their peers, and we just want to see them fitting in and happy. Mine basically lives in her room, online. Do you know what she does online? I found mine actually does some really productive stuff! It's a different world to the one we grew up in with all this technology, but I'm finding I'm resigning myself to that fact, and some kids can get what they need from online friendships. My daughter did for 12 months, but is now reconnecting with a couple of her old close friends from school. 

It's fantastic that you're looking for help for your daughter. A psychologist she connects with is a huge asset. 

Super star contributor
taokat

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @rainbow5, there is a great thread here you might like to read if you haven't seen it already! 

@Defiant@Mamarose and @mazzyb, I'm wondering if you may be able to offer some advice or support?

Scribe
Cferrett25

I feel for you 😞😞 I hate this online world