Need help now?

Re: Is anyone else feeling unsupported with a teenager that has anxiety ?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Hi @Caz01 Welcome to Reach Out Parents.  Some great advice from @Breez-RO and @sunflowermom

It is incredibly hard caring for a teen with mental health issues.  It is isolating and exhausting dealing day-to-day with different moods, attitudes, safety concerns and challenges.  My husband was extremely supportive when my daughter was really sick, however I still felt lonely, lost and a failure as a mother.... I cant imagine how hard it is for single parents, or parents with little family support.  You sound like a really caring mum that is doing the right things for your daughter while trying to look after yourself in the process, even if that means putting your own needs on hold for a while. Hang in there, and remember to use the forum when you need, there are plenty of other parents here that can offer support.   

Highlighted
Frequent scribe
Caz01

Hi @Zoesplace, thanks for your kind words and support. Sometimes I wonder where my sweet girl has gone and has been replaced by the exorcist , she is so angry and defensive and that's when we are not even arguing. I'm going to wait until she cools down a bit and ask her why, I know she is stressed with the hsc but am wondering is it worth it if it is making her so stressed? I told her I am not bothered by her mark but she feels under pressure to do well.
Frequent scribe
Caz01

Thanks for your words of support @Zoesplace. Sometimes I wonder where my sweet girl has gone I know she's in there somewhere!
Frequent scribe
Caz01

Sorry I just repeated myself I didn't think previous post went through
Parent/Carer Community Champion
sunflowermom

She's is in there! The sweet girl will return, it will just take awhile. If there is anything positive I have gained from all the trauma I have been through with my daughter it's a stronger and deeper relationship. I didn't think it was possible. Buts it's truly an amazing feeling.
Frequent scribe
Caz01

Thanks @sunflowermom I will keep this in mind 😊
Frequent scribe
Caz01

Hi everyone thanks for your support . I just wanted to share that my daughter and myself have had 2 good days. A lot has to do with my attitude. Today I was able to go to the river after work and relax a bit before I went home. I was able to come home feeling good and not reacting to things so easily. We had a chat this week when things were calm and was able to get from my daughter that her studies(yr 12) are stressing her out and also my reactions and my moods.
So I have to admit to her, myself and you guys that my reactions made her more withdrawn and we unfortunately were always at each other because we were BOTH moody and irritable, this was so hard for me to realise. I really have to take a long hard look at myself and try to improve this as I think I have been living on edge for quite a long time . I actually have anxiety too which I guess feeds off her anxiety. Urgh. Any way none of us are perfect but we need to look at how we are speaking and reacting as we can be unknowingly hindering communication with our teen. Good luck guys.Thanks for listening enjoy your weekend 😊