Need help now?

School Safety Plan for Depression or Anxiety

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Prolific scribe
Schooner

Hey guys,

I've just submitted "Action Plans" to school for my son's asthma and food allergies. I can down load generic templates for both of these and get them modified a bit and signed by a GP so the school will know what to do if something goes wrong.

OK, that's great....but what about depression or anxiety? Does anybody know if there is a template somewhere for either of these? If not, has anybody prepared a plan for school? I've searched a bit online and found nothing.

We are seeing the psychiatrist and psychologist over the next week, I'll ask them too.

Cheers

Contributor
LovingThruBlue

Re: School Safety Plan for Depression or Anxiety

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Schooner. I used this and other information from the Headspace site to formulate a plan with my daughters school. Are you meeting with them or just supplying a plan?

Contributor
Beingme2017

hi @Schooner that's a really good question - @LovingThruBlue's link looks really useful.

Please keep us updated with what you find out as Im sure that info will be very useful to other parents on here.

It seems to me that the health issues tend to have plenty of policies and procedures but the mental health ones often are lacking aren't they.

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Hi @Schooner Great recommendation from @LovingThruBlue regards to the Headspace plan, and if you are meeting with the school?  

The psychologist should also be able to help prepare a letter for the school about whats been going on for your son, possible safety plan and best way for the school to support him.  The school Welfare Department would probably be the best point of contact (if the school has a Welfare Department).  You may find your sons school already supporting other kids in a similar situation?  

Prolific scribe
Schooner

Hi guys,

I like the Headspace plan (thanks @LovingThruBlue) - although it is aimed at a "return to school" situation after an incident, and I guess I was looking more for a general "my kids got depression/anxiety" plan. Still, it is the best I've seen.

It is true what you say  @Beingme2017. What I'd like to do is to normalise anxiety and depression somewhat as we have done for asthma and anaphylaxis. I think these standard templates send the message that this is a common situation that we can manage if we do the right thing 

@Zoesplace, I had the psychologist writing a report to the school every 2 weeks at one stage. I don't think it helped, in fact I think it overwhelmed them! The school counsellors seemed to be trying to second guess the diagnosis of the medical team (and getting it wrong). The more I gave them the more they seemed to want. In the end they were obsessing about medications, wanting to know why the medical team had made minor adjustments to this or that, and even suggesting "we shouldn't change that medication now". IMHO that is not their role, but they did not take it well when I put that opinion. That's why I think a simple template might be better.

Because of our poor relationship with the previous school counsellors, my plan was to prepare something and give it to the school (signed by his medical team). If they like it, great. If not, I'll try to incorporate their needs into a version 2.

Cheers

Super star contributor
taokat

Hi @Schooner, this is great topic, because are we all aware we can do this? I wasn't. I hadn't thought of making a safety plan myself.

My daughter had a mental health safety plan at school, but it was put together by them, after discussions with me, as they were asking for extra government funding for her. It was successful in her first year at high school however in her second year they let the ball down badly and things went sour because of it. Her maths teacher refused to even acknowledge the safety plan once she did become aware. I don't know what happened!

I think it's fantastic that you are putting together your own plan for the school. Out of curiosity I'm going to check it out, so if I find anything simple I'll let you know. 

I'm with you, I don't think it's the school counsellors role or even in the scope of their qualifications, to be giving opinions on medications or diagnoses. On these things I trust my daughter's psychologist, psychiatrist and myself.

Prolific scribe
Schooner

Thanks @taokat I'll keep you updated!

Super star contributor
taokat

Great @Schooner, thank you Smiley Happy

I know we're all hoping it goes well, so would be keen to follow your progress. 

Contributor
LovingThruBlue

This is a great post @Schooner that may turn out to be very helpful to many people.

I should have explained a bit better that I used the Headspace leaflet (and other things I found on the net) to formulate a plan for my daughter in conjunction with her case worker, school mentors and counsellors, her head teacher and vice principal. It was very personalised.

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Hi @Schooner  Sorry to hear you haven't had a good relationship with previous school counselors, especially with them questioning the medical diagnosis!! - Omg... No wonder you want to do your own safety plan. Depression and anxiety is common among teens, it is a shame the school was not able to provide your son the support that he needed.  I hope you have a more positive experience this time.