Need help now?

School Safety Plan for Depression or Anxiety

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

School Safety Plan for Depression or Anxiety

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: School Safety Plan for Depression or Anxiety

Hey @Schooner, I'd love to hear how things go. I think this is such a huge issue for so many parents who often feel they are the meat in the sandwich between their kid's school and their kid's health professionals.

I can't imagine school staff trying to override a medical professional's recommendations around treating asthma or a broken leg. It's disappointing to hear that you had to consistently go to bat for the recommendations of your daughter's mental health professionals.

How are things at the moment? Any headway?

Prolific scribe
Schooner

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey guys,

I've been de-railed a bit because my son has slipped back into depression.

Anyway....the Psych Registrar didn't know of any standard format anxiety or depression forms. I asked her to give me a list of standard management techniques, and gave her a list of the ones I thought we could start with. She just signed off on the ones I gave her! Scroll down to see them.

I'm still waiting to hear from the psychologist, who I think will be more forthcoming. She too is de-railed because of my son's depressive episode.

I think maybe we can make some progress on this ourselves. Maybe we could share the management approaches we have used or had recommended for our kids? With the names removed, of course. There are a couple of good references on the 'net too. Maybe we can make a list of them as well. I found one on the net I thought was good....I just have to find it again!! Then I'll post a link. Does anybody know if we can keep a list on the site (like a document, rather than a message thread - 'cause it's hard to follow after we get a few replies)??

I guess the aim is to end up with a standard list, or two standard lists (one for anxiety and one for depression) of management techniques, ideally under the banner of some reputable organisation (maybe Reach Out?).

I you haven't seen the asthma or anaphylaxis standard forms they are here:

https://assets.nationalasthma.org.au/resources/341-NAC-Written-Asthma-Action-Plan-2015_Colour.pdf

https://allergy.org.au/images/stories/anaphylaxis/2017/Anaphylaxis_Epipen_Personal_Action_Plan_2017_...

For those who have not used these, you just fill in some details and get it signed by the G.P., and the school will (usually) follow it. I can't see why an anxiety plan (at least) could not be in a similar format, something like:

Not stressed: do these things to reduce the risk of stress

A bit stressed: do these things to reduce stress

Really stressed: do these things to get help

We can give that to a school and they will know - this is what EVERYBODY does!

Here are the management approaches the psychiatrist approved for my son this week:

Depression and Anxiety

* Extra time to complete assessments 

* exemption from unnecessary assessments 

* Flexibility to allow for being tired as a result of medication 

* needs to be able to access a timeout space 

*generally low stress environment

I've got at least one old one too, I'll dig it out and post it shortly.

So....what management actions did you get recommended for your school aged kids? Post it! Was it for Depression or Anxiety?

Cheers

[extra worn out Dad]

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Hi @Schooner sorry to hear about your son slipping back into depression.  It is a terribly debilitating illness that can be difficult to manage.  My daughter who suffers from depression has had a fairly positive experience with her school, once they were fully aware of how serious the situation was – thanks to her case manager and the wonderful Welfare teacher at the school.

We applied for extensions for assessments that the Welfare teacher assisted with.  The extension requests forms were provided in the school handbook we were given at the beginning of the year.

The school also has a Time-Out system. This allowed approved kids to leave class (no questions asked) if they were struggling so they could see the welfare team or other support teacher if required for a short period of time.

All of her teachers are aware of the situation, which the welfare team must have been responsible for, as we did not personally advise each teacher.  This has meant that all her teachers have been more compassionate and offered extra support when required.

I believe schools should provide similar assistance such as extra time or support for kids suffering from mental illness to how they help kids with physical illness.

I also think it is a great idea to have some standard forms available on the Reach Out website that could assist parents and kids get the best support from their school.  I will check this out.  @Ngaio-RO

Hope you are able to come up with a suitable plan for your son so he is able to get the right support from the school.   By the way... what year is your son in at school?   

Super star contributor
taokat

Hey @Schooner, I wanted to check in and see how things are with your son - but also to see how you are coping. You've been quiet, which is perfectly okay. I've come back from a short break too. Sometimes we need it. 

Still, we're missing you and hoping you had success in implementing a safety plan at school, and that you're taking care of you. 

Prolific scribe
Schooner

@taokat ! Thanks for checking in on me....

Yes, I needed a break.

My son had a difficult time for a couple of months. He changed his medication (to Lithium) and at the same time he got the 'flu for several weeks...and then a gastro bug. I really felt bad for him because he was also trying to fit into a new school. He was in and out of Emergency a number of times (4 times in 6 weeks I think).

I got to a point where I could see I was just about exhausted, and then I had to get a small operation done, just day surgery. In the "old days" I would have been fully functional the next day, but the stress in the 12 months leading up to it, and probably the extra years on me, meant I was done. I had to tell my wife she needed to take over for a while. She took some leave from her job and I withdrew into my cave and tried hard to get my strength back.

I feel like I'm recovering.

At the same time, my son has made great improvements, we think. Actually he has been away for a couple of weeks on a school camp to Central Australia. 2 months ago I would have said he couldn't go, but he is very determined to get past his depression....so WOW! At the same time I've been anxiously waiting for "That" phone call: "your son is in Emergency in ....Alice Springs!" But, no news is good news they say. He comes home this evening, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it went. I'm hoping it is a huge success, and maybe a life changing event for him.

You'll hear more from me over the next month or so I think Smiley Happy

Hope you are well too Smiley Happy

Cheers

Super star contributor
taokat

Hey @Schooner, it's great that you could recognise you needed a break and needed to take time to look after yourself. The stress and worry certainly takes its toll, and we need to be okay to be any good to anyone else. I'm glad to hear that you feel like you're recovering. It was probably perfect timing for your son to go on this camp - give you and your wife a break. 

From where you've been, it's fantastic to hear that things are going so well for your son now. What really made me happy was reading that your son is determined not to let his depression get in his way. That mindset will help him immensely in dealing with the ups and downs. 

My fingers are crossed that all went well at camp Smiley Happy

There is no pressure for you to get back to the forum before you're ready, but please remember we're here if you need.