Need help now?

School adjustments for teen depression

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

School adjustments for teen depression

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: School adjustments for teen depression

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Schooner, my pleasure. We often learn the most from our mistakes! I realised that I couldn't just trust the school to carry through with their words, and if I'd been more on top of it, my daughter would've been in distance ed earlier. The school counsellors 'forgot' to put in the application, despite agreeing it was our best option! Two weeks into term 3 last year my daughter started Year 9!

I hear you - there are never any guarantees! It's what adds to the difficulty, as it can take trial and error to find what works best, or what is best. The good thing is that you know your son's limitations and if tutoring and challenging himself on a more tricky subject does become too much, you can always drop it for now. 

It's great you have back up from your son's psychologist and the hospital staff. It adds weight, however it sounds like his school have their heads firmly in the sand. I suggest making a complaint with the Dept of Education. You can do that here. If you check out this link, you will find a phone number for disability support. I rang them and had a lovely lady from the department contact the school in regards to some issues were having. Maybe give it a try and see what support or assistance they can offer in regards to getting the school more helpful?  

It sounds like your boy is lovely. Just because they are struggling doesn't mean their beautiful qualities are no longer there. They are teens who's brains are going through massive changes and they are trying to work out who they are. 

Holidays mean so much more in these situations. Terms are long and exhausting. Do you do anything for your own self care? It's something we often forget, or feel guilty about doing, when our kids are finding life so hard. But we need to take care of us, so we can be the best we can be for them. 

Thank you, I did enjoy my afternoon. My daughter and I watched movies together. 

Prolific scribe
Schooner

@taokat Self care is an issue, I suspect for many of us. I try to walk (bushwalking or just around the neighbourhood with the dog) to burn up some tension. Plus I've realised that I need time away from my son, and he needs time away from me. During difficult times we can be together for days on end almost 24/7. I don't feel guilty anymore, I cannot afford to burn out.

Despite my efforts there are times when I'm exhausted.

My son is at an independent school, the Dept of Education cannot help I think.

Cheers

Super star contributor
taokat

I am sorry @Schooner, you had said that your son was going to an independent school. I'm not sure how they're run or who they answer to, if anyone?

Good on you, I'm glad you've got that understanding about self care, but I'm the same as you, sometimes I'm just too done to do anything! 

With mine being educated via distance ed, we've together 24/7 so long and I agree completely - time apart is vital for both of you. No matter how much love we have for anyone, it's not normal to spend so much time together, for either party! My girl now has a job so I get 4 hours breaks a few times a week now which I cherish. Time for me!