Need help now?

What next? Just when we seem to have overcome one hurdle another one surfaces.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Frequent scribe
Elena

This year was to be the year that we could get on with our lives, and for a while it was. We'd been through a few traumas with our (now) 18 year old, but things were looking to be on track again, and normal-ish. After 2 years of being in survival mode lurching from crisis to crisis, and one year of healing for all of us, and at last B seemed to have a plan for her life and was working hard for it, and then boom, back to crisis.  Emergency trips to hospital, issues which are not precisely just mental or physical, but some weird mixture of both. And a young adult suddenly and unexpectedly in huge amounts of pain. Pain medications no longer so effective, and long periods of time with B in extreme pain, but maxed out on medication, and unable to be given more. Not B's fault, but struggling to find help for her....yet again. 

Chronic pain is part of the story, but these flare ups of acute pain are new. And it is so hard to see her in such pain. And I'm tired, and my face seems to be stuck again in a cardboard 'worry mask'.

The hospital says there is not much more they can do for her, and that we have to tough it out, and that she'll likely have chronic pain all her life, and that yes, when she is in acute pain that she may overdose on medication, either by accident or because her life is no longer worth living.

Contributor
LovingThruBlue

Re: What next? Just when we seem to have overcome one hurdle another one surfaces.

Oh my gosh @Elena I am so sorry to read this Smiley Sad  My heart hurts for you. Is there somewhere else you can go for help? How can they leave it at that? 

I am familiar with that feeling of living on survival mode and wish I could say something that wold help but ... just keep breathing, taking life a few minutes at a time and allowing yourself to just deal with what you need to to survive ... and nothing more.

I'm hoping someone here has some advice as to what you may be able to do medically. I wish I did. 

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: What next? Just when we seem to have overcome one hurdle another one surfaces.

Hi @Elena, I can hear your distress in your words, and I can't imagine seeing my daughter in that kind of pain. My heart goes out to you, and of course to your daughter. 

Has the hospital given your daughter a diagnosis? I can only imagine how desperate you must feel after the hospitals words. It amazes me that a health professional could say that after giving you no hope in being able to do more for her. My personal opinion would be to go to another hospital, or doctor. Get a few opinions. 

Where abouts is her pain can I ask? I'm thinking about what alternatives there might be for pain treatment/management. 

Take care for now.