Need help now?

What teens need most from parents - the research

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey guys, came across this from the Wall St Journal - "What Teens Need Most From Their Parents"....

It says... "The new..research is changing scientists’ views on the role parents play in helping children navigate a volatile decade. Once seen as a time for parents to step back, adolescence is increasingly viewed as an opportunity to stay tuned in and emotionally connected. The research makes it possible to identify four important phases in the development of intellectual, social and emotional skills that most teens will experience at certain agesRead more here..

And I'm keen to hear from you guys, does this article reflect your experience?

Frequent scribe
BazanFan

Re: What teens need most from parents - the research

What a great article. 

I think for me the biggest take out was in teaching children how to manage stress and deal with mental conflict and how that set's their whole life up with those skills. I know many adults who clearly weren't taught these skills by their parents and it still effects them greatly. I had always just taken those skills for granted but the more I study my upbringing and compare it to others the clearer it becomes

Contributor
readthemanual

Re: What teens need most from parents - the research

interesting! @Sophie-RO Makes parents feel better knowing that all what our teens are doing are due to their developing brains!

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!